[Vision2020] Witch Hunt

Jay Borden jborden at datawedge.com
Thu Sep 1 10:22:46 PDT 2011

I personally don't believe in "secret ploys" or "conspiracies" on any
front.   I also don't believe that every environmentalist (a person who
factors in a concern for their surroundings and natural habitat in
many/most things they do) to be a "wacko tree-hugger", any more than I
would consider any person that embraces religion into their lives to be
a "rabid bible-thumper".

But I do believe in a tendency for extreme points of view to emerge from
any opinion.    People with EXTREME points of view (on ANY topic) have
been wearing the same sandwich board since the beginning of time... it's
only the lettering that's different.  Whether the sandwich board says
"THE END IS NEAR:  THE WORLD IS HEATING UP", or whether the sandwich
board says "THE END IS NEAR:  Y2K IS UPON US", or "THE END IS NEAR:
MAYANS CALENDAR SAYS 2012".... it represents an extreme viewpoint that
only creates more of a divide when the general public says "I'm
skeptical, provide me with more information".  Skepticism is suddenly
translated to "OPPOSITION", and hence a divide is created.

In 1919, a leading meteorologist (Albert Porta) predicted that on
December 17th, the alignment of six planets in their orbits would cause
some sort of magnetic change that would "pierce the sun" and cause great
explosions of flaming gas, destroying the earth in the process.

It's probably simple to see with today's science that this is not
possible (or perhaps the better term is 'LIKELY')... but the prediction
AT THE TIME carried the arrogance of absolute correctness with the
period's technology.

Each generation carries a certain level of arrogance when looking at the
past... and each generation of predictors also carry a level of
arrogance with today's technology and scientific methods... most with
the self-rational of "well, NOW WE KNOW BETTER..."

And each time the people in the MIDDLE of the bell-curve scratch their
heads and say, "Ok... you have my attention... but I want more
information", the extremists at the FAR end of the bell-curve respond
with demands for immediate ACTION.

(For you guys walking around with the Mayan calendar prediction... I'll
talk to you again in 2013).

My .02.

Jay