[Vision2020] AGU: Developing La Nina Cools the Planet in September

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 25 18:26:23 PDT 2011

This reminds me of a topic I've wanted to bring up for discussion.  From
my understanding, La Nina events are caused by an upwelling of colder
waters in the equatorial Pacific that then go on to have large impacts
on weather globally.  Here is a description from an FAQ at the NOAA
(http://www.elnino.noaa.gov/lanina_new_faq.html):

(begin quote)

# What causes La Niña?*
# Typically, a La Niña is preceded by a buildup of cooler-than-normal
subsurface waters in the tropical Pacific. Eastward-moving atmospheric
and oceanic waves help bring the cold water to the surface through a
complex series of events still being studied. In time, the easterly
trade winds strengthen, cold upwelling off Peru and Ecuador intensifies,
and sea-surface temperatures (SSTs) drop below normal. During the 1988-
89 La Niña, SSTs fell to as much as 4 degrees C (7 degrees F) below
normal. Both La Niña and El Niño tend to peak during the Northern
Hemisphere winter.

(end quote)

So, the colder-than-normal sea surface temperatures are caused by
deeper, colder water being brought to the surface.  This cools down the
sea surface temperatures and affects the trade winds and general
circulation patterns.  It also, apparently, has the effect of cooling
down the average global lower atmospheric temperatures.  But where does
this heat go?

Presumably, the heat is transferred to the colder water that has been
brought to the surface, leaving the overall heat content of the oceans
slightly higher than it was before.  Conversely, the warmer-than-normal
sea surface temperatures that raise the global atmospheric surface
temperatures during an El Nino event would have the effect of cooling
the overall heat content of the oceans to be slightly lower than it
was.  Since the heat capacity of the oceans far exceeds that of the
atmosphere, the Earth itself presumably cools slightly.

So we're left with the odd case that the warmest years occur when the
overall heat content of the Earth decreases, and the cooler years (at
least relatively) occur when the overall heat content increases.

This leads me to wonder if a globally-averaged surface temperature is
really the best metric for determining if the globe is warming or cooling.

Any thoughts?  I don't know what the best way to measure this is, though
I suspect it would involve satellite measurements of the overall energy
gained from and lost to space.  There is also the added factor of what
cloud cover does in each case as this affects albedo.

Just something I've been kicking around trying to get a handle on.

Paul