[Vision2020] Lecture Tonight 7 PM U of I College of Law Courtroom: "Indigenuity"

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 14:51:54 PDT 2011

http://dnews.com/local/article_b89d7437-e765-5182-860c-729609b3d6bb.html

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 12:00 am | *Updated: 8:33 am, Wed Oct 19, 2011.
*

'Indigenuity' lecture comes to
UI<http://dnews.com/local/dnews.com/local/article_b89d7437-e765-5182-860c-729609b3d6bb.html>
By
Holly Bowen, Daily News staff writer Moscow-Pullman Daily News | 0 comments
<http://dnews.com/local/article_b89d7437-e765-5182-860c-729609b3d6bb.html#user-comment-area>

Daniel Wildcat will challenge his audience to exercise and embrace
"indigenuity" - indigenous ingenuity - when he speaks tonight at the
University of Idaho in Moscow.

Wildcat, a professor at Haskell Indian Nations University in Lawrence, Kan.,
and a Yuchi member of the Muscogee Nation of Oklahoma, was selected by the
UI American Indian Studies program for the 11th annual Distinguished
American Indian Speakers Series.
-------------------------------------
More from Holly Bowen's Daily News article:

Wildcat said the indigenous people in the Arctic region are threatened by
the drought and extreme weather effects of climate change.

"We're talking about the removal of people from their homelands," he said.
"I thought we had sort of left the time in history where we would see native
peoples being removed from their land."

Now, he said, the removal is being brought about by large-scale economic,
sociological and industrial issues that are changing the face of the planet.

"For many people, moving isn't a big deal," Wildcat said.  "For native
people, the idea of removal from their homeland is very disturbing and even
traumatic."

He said the oil sands project in Alberta, Canada, is a sign that humanity is
addicted to oil.

"This is a highly costly extraction process that they're undertaking up
there," he said.  "Not just economically is it expensive, but it is coming
with great environmental degradation."

Wildcat advocated for the development of walkable communities where people
don't need personal vehicles to get to work, school, or the store, and he
said architects and engineers of the future should aspire to create homes
that are not dependent on carbon-based energy.