[Vision2020] Cold Pizza from Herm Cain

Jay Borden jborden at datawedge.com
Mon Oct 17 12:25:44 PDT 2011

Am I?  I don't remember using any of those words.  Perhaps if you
stopped rolling your eyes long enough to actually read what I wrote, you
would notice I never said anything like "it is ok to screw over the
little guy"... (or maybe I should be using more capital letters for
better visuals in my writings).

I'll try again.

We have a tax code that is riddled with exceptions, deductions,
loopholes, political favors, and eons of heavy-hitting sideline
influence.

People are crying for "transparency"... a flat tax system is pretty
transparent.  And so long as it STAYS that way, it would be politically
difficult to start the ball rolling to create such a tax code of
exceptions again.  (Note I use the word "difficult", not "impossible").
The first time a lobbying organization sways a politician to say "I
propose a bill to change the 9% to '9% except in the case of diabetic
left-handed dentists', you would have a backlash of opposition (and a
noticeably silent population of obese left-handed dentists on the
issue).  That's transparency.

People are crying for "fair"... a flat tax system in three different
categories seems pretty fair.

You would pay federal taxes on income, sales, and businesses would pay
9% of their earnings.  That seems pretty fair.

It even addresses the "fairness relative to income" argument that I keep
hearing (where the definition of "fair" actually translates to "if you
have more you pay more...").

Anyone who consumes pays the 9% sales tax... Anyone who earns (business
or individual) pays the 9% income tax.

If you're rich?  You're probably going to get taxed in all three areas.

If you're poor?  You're probably going to pay the 9% consumption tax and
are less concerned about a 9% tax on your business earnings.

Now... it could be (legitimately) argued that the 9% business earnings
tax would probably just be passed on to the customer in the forms of
higher prices/goods, and therefore the "effective" tax rate would be
higher for consumers.  For that reason (to keep it *fair*), it might be
better to have a 9-9-9 be in the form of income, sales, and capital
gains (dropping the *business* tax rate down to 0%)...

For the "double-taxation" arguments?  (State + Federal now gives a
doubled up sales/income tax?)  We're already double-taxed.  We already
pay a state income tax and a federal income tax.   If you're Oregon and
you still don't want to charge a state sales tax?  Fine... don't do
it... that's a state decision.  If you're Washington and you don't want
to charge a state income tax?  Fine... don't do it... that's a state
decision.

Again, I don't know if 9-9-9 is a "magic number combo"... but in
*principal* this plan addresses the primary bullet points of "fair" and
"transparent"...

Jay