[Vision2020] Political Protests Do Make a Difference

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Mon Oct 17 06:06:36 PDT 2011

Courtesy of the Letters section of today's (October 17, 2011) Moscow-Pullman Daily News with a special note of appreciation to Bill London.

------------------------------
Political protests do make a difference
I have two basic disagreements with the Daily News editorial of Oct. 11 about the nationwide Occupy Wall Street movement.
The first involves the widening gap between rich and poor in this country that you note in the editorial. Agreed. The rich are getting much richer.
Where your editorial comes up empty is in the explanation. You summarize: "something has happened in the past few years."
Something has happened? That bland and boring nonanswer is part of your theme of sharing the responsibility for our economic mess. You might as well say that it is everybody's fault and nobody's fault.
The truth is that the widening gap between rich and poor is the result of decades of collaboration between the uber-rich to further their selfish short-term interests. The rich have set agendas, hired lobbyists, bought politicians, and pumped in money to shift power to corporations. The widening income gap in the U.S. did not happen by accident.
My second disagreement is with your assessment of the impact of mass political protests. You say that there really is not much to be done because "screaming from the sidelines does little good."
With that in mind, it becomes clear that you have lost faith in free speech and in the triumph of ideas. You have surrendered to apathy and resignation.
The protesters who are putting their lives on the line at one of the Occupy Wall Street sites are courageous and committed. What they need are ways to share their message with the people who are suffering from the economic shift in our country.
Which reminds me: maybe you could report on their plans and ideas instead of just ignoring them? How about your newspaper getting back into the business of informing people? Stop breeding apathy.
Bill London, Moscow

Seeya round town, Moscow.

"Honest and true,
As the morning star.