[Vision2020] Nutrinos not faster than light?

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Sat Oct 15 12:59:22 PDT 2011

"If it stands up, this episode will be laden with irony. Far from
breaking Einstein's theory of relatively, the faster-than-light
measurement will turn out to be another confirmation of it."
------------------
This explanation is a disapointment, even if true...

I was hoping something more exotic would be confirmed, like string
theory predictions of other dimensions, as mentioned in the article
below.  This would not exactly totally refute Einstein's relativity,
from my understanding, but would indicate relativity is an incomplete
theory to describe the universe, which it probably is...

http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2011/0922/Neutrino-particle-traveling-faster-than-light-Two-ways-it-could-rewrite-physics

Neutrino particle traveling faster than light? Two ways it could
rewrite physics.

One example is string theory, which posits a universe of many more
dimensions than the four humans experience.

"If you have a theory in which there is more than one way to get from
A to B, maybe you can have a shortcut and have the appearance of
traveling faster than the speed of light," says Stephen Parke, who
heads the theoretical physics department at the Fermi National
Accelerator Laboratory in Batavia, Ill.

The alternative? A pillar of modern physics – Einstein's theory of
special relativity, in which the speed of light is a particle's
absolute speed limit – could take its first serious hit. Perhaps not
flat wrong, but only a piece of a more complete picture.
Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett