[Vision2020] The Most Beautiful Song Ever Written . . .

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 09:12:41 PDT 2011

Far too many beautiful songs for any one to be the most beautiful, of
course, unless a person is blinded by love, as many of us have been,
believing our beloved is the most beautiful, when thousands are
equally thus...

So in my wonderful, at least in this case, blindness, I nominate the
following song for "most beautiful," a song that is a spiritual
revelation, in the non-doctrinaire meaning of "spiritual."  The lyrics
assume their full meaning in Siberry's passionate soaring melodic
invention and angelic singing voice.

"Sail Across the Water" written and sung by Jane Siberry, from the album
"When I Was a Boy:"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVtP-QumhuM

love is trembling - trembling like the little bird we hold within our hands

love is bending - bending towards the worried brow - here, let me wipe away

your tears

love is kneeling - above the broken body the ever-upturned face

love is missing - all the words are broken, help me, i cannot find my way,

no i can't

i need you love, come on love

will you sail 'cross the water and lay your wisdom down?

and love will you sail 'cross the water and tell us what you found?

and love will you sail 'cross the water and hold us when we drown?

and love will you sail 'cross the water?

is anybody listening...?

love is trembling - trembling like the leaves above the baby's bed

love is streaming - streaming with the tears that we cannot seem to shed

love is frozen - frozen in the figure they just pulled from the subway grate

love is burning - burning with the anger that we all feel, against which we

kneel,

our faces pressed into the lap of loneliness, come on love

will you sail 'cross the water and lay your wisdom down?

and love will you sail 'cross the water and tell us what you found?

and love will you sail 'cross the water and hold us when we drown?

and love will you sail 'cross the water?

are we not willing? are we not trying? are we not trusting? are we not

crying?

are we not children? are we not stumbling? are we not wondering? are we not?

sail 'cross the water and lay your wisdom down?

and love will you sail 'cross the water and tell us what you found?

and love will you sail 'cross the water and hold us when we drown?

and love will you sail 'cross the water?

are we not willing? are we not bending? are we not frozen? are we not

trembling?

are we not children? are we not trying? are we not wondering? are we not?

love is trembling
Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett