[Vision2020] Sheriff wants megaload reimbursements

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Oct 14 05:51:32 PDT 2011

Courtesy of today's (October 14, 2011) Moscow-Pullman Daily News.

------------------------------
Sheriff wants megaload reimbursements
By Brandon Macz Daily News staff writer | Posted: Friday, October 14, 2011 12:00 am
Latah County Sheriff Wayne Rausch says he will seek county commissioner approval to bill hauling contractor Mammoet for overtime costs incurred by deputies overseeing Imperial Oil/ExxonMobil shipments.
The move follows a similar request from the city of Moscow, which has also seen an increase in overtime expenses since its police began assisting the Idaho State Police in escorting module shipments through the city in July.
"Initially, I was very reluctant to do it because I fundamentally don't believe that it's right," said Rausch of the request for financial reimbursements, "but I also don't believe that it is right for the taxpayers to pay for it, either."
Deputy overtime related to the oil company's overlegal shipments through the city is at 93.5 hours, he said, or $5,800.
"This has all been strictly overtime," Rausch said. "We're bringing them on overtime so we don't get into the regular shift."
Increased law enforcement along Mammoet's route through Moscow on Washington Street has come after environmental activists blocked travel of a July 25 shipment through the city for about half an hour. Rausch said he's uncertain whether that would resume without officers at intersections along the route.
"I'm half tempted to send them a bill," Rausch said of the protesters. "I couldn't begin to predict what these people are going to do. There's a great majority of people who have jobs to do, and we sleep while these shipments go by, and we don't have time for this nonsense."
Moscow resident William French, 55, is facing a malicious injury to property charge for allegedly smashing out a window of the sheriff's jail van July 25 when he and five others were arrested for allegedly refusing police requests to stop blocking Washington Street. Rausch said replacing the window was a $700 expense.
Latah County Prosecutor Bill Thompson said if Rausch's request is placed on the commissioners' agenda and approved Monday, he could draft a letter to Mammoet to be signed by Wednesday.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

"Honest and true,
As the morning star.
Vote for just two,