[Vision2020] Maybe the post office hasn’t gotten our letters

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Oct 14 05:22:33 PDT 2011

Courtesy of today's (October 14, 2011) Moscow-Pullman Daily News.

------------------------------
Maybe the post office hasn’t gotten our letters
We were just as stunned as those who attended a public hearing on area post offices to hear their representatives say the wait times at Moscow’s post office are not more than five minutes.
If this is how out of touch the U.S. Postal Service is with a majority of their communities, it’s no wonder they’re having trouble keeping their business afloat.
Moscow residents gathered at the Federal Building last Friday to give their opinions on the possible closure of the University Station branch of the post office, located on Deakin Avenue. It is under study for “declining office workload” and its close distance to the main branch, which is less than one mile away. Liz Jenkins, Seattle’s manager of Post Office Operations, said the USPS is examining its business model in an effort to provide “reasonable and effective service to the public.”
We can tell her right now that closing University Station and keeping operations running as they are at the Moscow branch will not bring effective service to Moscow’s public. Instead, it will drive business to places like The UPS Store in addition to doubling already long wait times.
Jenkins said more staff would come to the Moscow branch should the University Station close, but from the perspective of this editorial board, plenty already mill about the place, just not at the counter. We’re not suggesting they’re lazy — they’re probably getting important work done — but it doesn’t change the amount of time people have to wait in line to send or pick up a package.
Not to mention, as resident Sandy Hathaway pointed out at the meeting, the parking situation at the downtown branch is less than ideal. Anyone with a prayer of making it to the downtown post office before closing to mail a package for Christmas will likely have to walk from wherever they are. The limited parking at the branch is hard enough to get into when it’s sunny and 90 degrees, let alone when there’s a foot of snow and ice.
Our hope is that the University Station will remain, and maybe get some increased business because of this study. If it doesn’t, we hope the post office will make a concerted effort to increase efficiency at the downtown branch. Because with their perceived knowledge of it at the moment, it’s not looking like a strong possibility.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

"Honest and true,
As the morning star.
Vote for just two,