[Vision2020] Rick Perry's Newest Problem

Ron Force rforce2003 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 3 15:18:35 PDT 2011

We can clean one thing up:

spic-and-span
1660s, from spick-and-span-new (1570s), lit. "new as a recently made spike and chip of wood," from spick "nail" (see spike (n.1)) + span-new "very new" (c.1300), from O.N. span-nyr, from spann "chip" + nyr "new." Imitation of Du. spiksplinter nieuw "spike-splinter new.""Saltine crackers" are tasty; "white crackers" aren't.  But, when I lived in Alabama, "cracker' was often used as a positive self-reference by rural whites who had been there a long time. In fact, "Cracker" was one of the mascot names considered by Florida State. They went with "Seminoles", a name heartily approved of by the tribe.

And, "Aunt Jemima" is now 21st century:

The Aunt Jemima products continue to
stand for warmth, nourishment and trust – qualities you’ll find in
loving moms from diverse backgrounds who care for and want the very best for their families. http://www.auntjemima.com/aj_history/ It's (mostly) in the context.

Ron Force
Moscow Idaho USA