[Vision2020] Court upholds big part of Luna's ed reforms

Sue Hovey suehovey at moscow.com
Sun Oct 2 11:36:37 PDT 2011

You are right, Donovan.  We still have great teachers here, and I am so grateful for all of them.  But they are leaving.  Just this year I wrote 5 recommendations for Nationally Certified teachers—4 for other states, one for higher ed.  All 5 got the jobs they applied for and left Idaho public schools.  And what worries me as well, because I hear it in conversations with those great teachers,  is that teachers aren’t promoting the profession to their children.  Teachers, very often, come from families of teachers.  The Idaho Republican Party (with some dedicated exceptions such as Tom Trail) have denigrated Idaho teachers through those laws and their public stance.  What caring parent wouldn’t want to spare a child this experience?

It’s time for responsible Republicans, who care about public schools and public higher education, to undo this damage.  1/3 of the teachers in Idaho are Republicans, but they cannot  do it alone.  Democrats don’t have the numbers to do it, although we can certainly help.   As I went around Moscow with my petitions to overturn the Luna Laws, Republicans were as willing to sign them as Democrats.  Actually I found very few citizens who weren’t willing to sign them, even the petition to recall Luna.  It’s also important to remember, Luna didn’t do this alone.  Butch Otter was right there with him, as were a majority of the members of the Legislature.  Not one Democrat voted for those laws—every one who did had an R after his name.  It’s also important to keep in context, in at least one of the Republican redistricting proposals, every Republican who voted against the Luna laws was gerrymandered, and anyone who believes that was unintentional—well surely no one on this site believes it, so it’s probably a moot point here.

Sue H.