[Vision2020] The Myth of a Monocultural "Western" Civilization

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 21 16:13:11 PST 2011

Prof. Gier writes,

  "When I traveled to India for the first time, I found it initially puzzling that the newspapers called the Middle East 'Western” Asia'."

   I don't think that surprising considering that it is west of them and they are smart enough to know their directions. But I do know that the US doesn't. For example, we say "Midwestern states" when we really mean Mideastern. But Mideastern states is another term already used. However, we use correct navigational and geographical terminology in reference to southwestern and northwestern states. Eskimos, I would think, would have an awful time referring to different people from a navigational point of view, being that all civilizations are directly South.

Donovan Arnold