[Vision2020] Man Dies of Hypothermia After Pickup Crash

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at frontier.com
Mon Nov 21 10:42:40 PST 2011

http://www.khq.com/story/16090609/man-dies-of-hypothermia-after-pickup-crash

> ------------------------------
> Man dies of hypothermia after pickup crash
>
> GENESEE, Idaho (AP) - Latah County officials say a 34-year-old Juliaetta
> man died of apparent hypothermia after leaving his stranded vehicle to
> seek help.
>
> Officials say Lee F. Roberts was driving his pickup truck on a south Latah
> County road at about midnight Friday when slick conditions caused the
> pickup to go off the road and get stuck. Roberts and his passenger were
> unable to free the truck and he left around 2:30 a.m. to go for help.
>
> After four hours, 30-year-old Dawn Moore of Moscow went looking for
> Roberts. She found him unconscious and covered in snow about a half-mile
> from the pickup. A passing motorist took Moore to a grocery store, where
> she called 911 at about 7:30 a.m.
>
> He was taken to the hospital, where he died at 10:40 a.m. Saturday.

Apologies in advance if the facts don't match my unsupported conclusion, but
if this fellow was substance-impaired late-at-night on a weekend, and he had a
cell phone, especially one with a contact entry for a taxi company known to
offer complementary rides home for individuals in an impaired condition, and he
had sufficient wit to use it for that purpose, he might be still alive.

There are cell phone with breathalysers built-into them, which can give an
indication whether driving is safe or legal, and thus allow alternative action
to be considered. Further, there are cell phones with Bluetooth connections to
automobile electrical systems to allow hands free operation while driving.

An existing electronic project that built a Breathalyzer in an Altoids box
with a Bluetooth connection to an Andriod phone for test results might well be
extended to create an electronic ignition interlock to prevent a vehicle
starting until sobriety, or another driver, is available to the vehicle.

Of course, getting such devices into the awareness, and the hands, of people
who need them, when they need them, is a significant challenge quite above and
beyond just getting basic cell phone capability into the hands of people who
might use it in an emergency rescue situation to call for assistance.

Idaho has had a Good Samaritan law on the books for 46 years, since 1965. I
don't know for sure, but I don't suppose Idaho has a requirement to rescue
anyone, so leaving someone lying in the snow while driving toward a telephone
may have been legally allowable and a practical necessity to obtain help.

Ken