[Vision2020] 11-20-11: Interview with a pepper-sprayed UC Davis student

Sunil Ramalingam sunilramalingam at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 20 22:20:43 PST 2011

I just got off the phone with one of my old Davis roommates. We are both shocked by the chancellor's decision and the police actions there. It's inconceivable that the UC Davis chancellor did not know what would be done to the students. Just a week ago the police waded into Berkeley protesters with batons. She had to know there would be violence used on the students.

Just an hour and a half from Berkeley, UC Davis has always been a place where students care much more about studying than anything else. You can spot the out-of-towners at a concert at Davis: They actually get up to dance. I remember a comedy show where my pal Bob and I were the only ones belly-laughing; everyone else was chuckling in the gentlest of tones.

And yet there the students are, getting pepper-sprayed while seated.

Here's a link to Glenn Greenwalds's article about the Davis attack:

http://politics.salon.com/writer/glenn_greenwald/

I'm left wondering if the Justice Department has anything to do with the tactics being used all over the country.

I think our national politics are broken. I am disgusted with Obama. He is in Wall Street's pocket, and I doubt he's coming out. The Democrats and the Republicans both are. And given the Citizens United decision, they will continue to be owned by corporations, with ordinary people unable to compete for their attention.

I'm glad that people are confronting this. It's not Democrats vs. Republicans; it's a recognition that neither party is responsive to the people.

Sunil