[Vision2020] Occupy <insert placename here> musings

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 20 21:16:07 PST 2011

I know that certain people already predisposed to hate on my posts will
do so, but just remember that in my own way I'm trying to help.

The biggest reason the Occupy movement irks me at the moment is this:
the gods have handed them a prime opportunity to actually effect some
change and they are (imo) fumbling the ball.  If I didn't agree with
them, I'd just ignore them and move on.  But I do agree with them at a
very basic level on a lot of issues, and it saddens me that they are
falling on their collective faces.

FWIW, here's my advice.

Drop the occupy portion (I know - that's hard for the Occupy movement to
do).  Failing that, at least prepare better.  Think about things like
sanitation, restroom availability, food preparation, and so on.  Don't
piss off members of the 99% that you are trying to get interested in
your plight by pissing in their doorways or whatever.  Police yourselves
and throw out the trouble makers.  I would recommend maybe keeping a
presence there for political reasons, but move on to organized protests.

Get everyone on the same message.  Make use of the Internet better - get
all the Occupy movements on the same web site and choose a topic to
protest about for the next day or the next week or whatever.  Choose
something like reinstating Glass-Steagal or amending the 14th amendment
to specifically exclude corporations from equal protection under the
law.  Pick something concise and practical.  Do your research.  Get
information together that everyone can look at, and agree on.  Have
protesters study talking points.  Give them suggestions for what to put
on signs.  Make little Word files they can print out on colored paper
and handout to passersby.  Have people prepared to tell the press in
quick easy-to-understand snippets what you are protesting about.  Send
them out there all on the same day with the same message, from
OccupyParis to OccupyHoboken.

Ignore the unconstitutional legal fiction called "free speech zones".
If the police try to get you to go somewhere else, ignore them.  If they
try to physically move you, plant your ass on the sidewalk and make them
move you like so much dead weight.  Do not strike back, even when they
are pepper spraying you.  You've got the moral high ground.  Don't lose
it.  Expect to be arrested, and plan accordingly.  Have a few people at
each event there with video cameras just to document things.  Most
important of all, don't get violent.  Be polite.  Be Gandhi.  Plan your
protests for a given time range.  Be out there from 7am to 7pm or
something.  It's much easier to get people to show up to protest if they
can take a vacation day and join in rather than having to be able to
take an extended period off of work.

I think this would be far more effective.  Take the issue of Congressmen
and insider trading for example.  There's a bit of buzz about it right
now, but if history is any indication it will just die down and life
will meander slowly forward.  People will lose track of it amongst all
the other issues and the media coverage of protester violence or
whatever.  Even the police handing the movement the pepper spray card
will likely not be enough.  However, I guarantee you that if every city
had people out there specifically protesting that one issue in a clear
and concise way, with more and more people getting out there and jumping
on the bandwagon as the week progressed, some Congressmen would be
pissing themselves right now knowing that everyone out there involved
with this issue will be looking for someone to throw under the bus.  And
it's not going to be the SEC or the CEO of Halliburton that goes down
for the count.  These Congressmen will become the most pious bastards
you've ever seen, and they will be leading the charge to put through
legislation to "remove this injustice".

So, what do you think?  Is this the way for the Occupy movement to be
more effective?  If not, then how?

Paul