[Vision2020] It's Like Deja Vu All Over Again . . .

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sat Nov 19 09:12:43 PST 2011

What with our country having been actively involved in war for the past
decade, a slow and methodical degeneration of the peoples' rights, and a
self-serving vision that does not extend beyond the here and now, what was
old (back in the 60s) is new again.

We can observe our predicament, as we ("they" to those of you who weren't
here yet) did back then (again . . . back in the 60s) from three
standpoints.

Pessimistically; as did Barry McGuire in his recording of . . .

"Eve of Destruction"
http://www.tomandrodna.com/Songs/Eve_of_Destruction.mp3

The eastern world it is explodin',
 Violence flarin', bullets loadin',
 You're old enough to kill but not for votin',
 You don't believe in war, what's that gun you're totin',
 And even the Jordan river has bodies floatin',
 But you tell me over and over and over again my friend,
 Ah, you don't believe we're on the eve of destruction.

Don't you understand, what I'm trying to say?
 Can't you see the fear that I'm feeling today?
 If the button is pushed, there's no running away,
 There'll be noone to save with the world in a grave,
 Take a look around you, boy, it's bound to scare you, boy,
 But you tell me over and over and over again my friend,
 Ah, you don't believe we're on the eve of destruction.

Yeah, my blood's so mad, feels like coagulatin',
 I'm sittin' here, just contemplatin',
 I can't twist the truth, it knows no regulation,
 Handful of Senators don't pass legislation,
 And marches alone can't bring integration,
 When human respect is disintegratin',
 This whole crazy world is just too frustratin',
 And you tell me over and over and over again my friend,
 Ah, you don't believe we're on the eve of destruction.

Think of all the hate there is in Red China!
 Tehn take a look around to Selma, Alabama!
 Ah, you may leave here, for four days in space,
 But when your eturn, it's the same old place,
 The poundin' of the drums, th pride and disgrace,
 You can bury your dead, but don't leave a trace,
 Hate your next-door-neighbor, but don't forget to say grace,
 And you tell me over and over and over and over again my friend,
 Ah, you don't believe we're on the eve of destruction.

---------

Optimistically; as did The Spokesmen in their recording of . . .

"Dawn of Correction"
http://www.tomandrodna.com/Songs/Dawn_of_Correction.mp3

The western world has a common dedication
To keep free people from Red domination
And maybe you can't vote, boy, but man your battle stations
Or there'll be no need for votin' in future generations

So over and over again, you keep sayin' it's the end
But I say you're wrong, we're just on the dawn of correction

There are buttons to push in two mighty nations
But who's crazy enough to risk annihilation?
The buttons are there to ensure negotiation
So don't be afraid, boy, it's our only salvation

So over and over again, you keep sayin' it's the end
But I say you're wrong, we're just on the dawn of correction

You tell me that marches won't bring integration
But look what it's done for the voter registration
Be thankful our country allows demonstrations
Instead of condemnin', make some recommendations
I don't understand the cause of your aggravation
You mean to tell me, boy, it's not a better situation?

So over and over again, you keep sayin' it's the end
But I say you're wrong, we're just on the dawn of correction

You missed all the good in your evaluation
What about the things that deserve commendation?
Where there once was no cure, there's vaccination
Where there once was a desert, there's vegetation
Self-government's replacing colonization
What about the Peace Corp. organization?
Don't forget the work of the United Nations

So over and over again, you keep sayin' it's the end
But I say you're wrong, we're just on the dawn of correction
But I say you're wrong, we're just on the dawn of correction

So over and over again, you keep sayin' it's the end
But I say you're wrong, we're just on the dawn of correction

---------

Or we can jus' kick back and party with the doctor ("Hook", that is) as he
suggested in his recording of . . .

"Freakers' Ball"
http://www.tomandrodna.com/Songs/Freakers_Ball.mp3

Well there's gonna be a freakers ball
 Tonight at the freakers hall
 And you know, you're invited one and all

 Come on babies grease your lips
 Grab your hats and swing your hips
 Don't forget to bring your whips
We're going to the freakers ball

 Blow your whistle and bang your gong
 Roll up something to take along
 It feels so good it must be wrong
 We're freakin at the freakers ball

 Where all the fags and the dykes they're boogyin' together
 The leather freaks are dressed in all kinds of leather
 The greatest of the sadists and the masochists too
 Screaming "Please hit me, and I'll hit you"

 The FBI are dancing with the junkies
 All the straights, are swinging with the funkies
 Across the floor and up the wall
 We're freakin at the freakers ball
 Yall, we're freakin at the freakers ball

 Everybody's kissing each other
 Brother with sister, son with mother
 Smear my body up with butter
 Take me to the freakers ball

 Pass that roach please and pour the wine
 I'll kiss yours if you'll kiss mine
 I'm gonna boogie till i go blind
 We're freakin at the freakers ball

 White ones, black ones, yellow ones, red ones
 Necrophiliacs looking for dead ones
 The greatest of the sadist and the masochists too
 Screaming "Please hit me, and I'll hit you"

 Everybody's fallin' in batches
 Pyromaniacs striking matches
 I'm gonna itch me where it scratches
 Freaking at the freakers ball

Party on, Moscow.

"Hate your next-door neighbor, but don't forget to say grace."

- Barry McGuire