[Vision2020] Moscow Looks So Much Nicer . . .

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at frontier.com
Fri Nov 18 00:22:36 PST 2011

On Thursday, November 17, 2011 09:02:56 PM Donovan Arnold wrote:
> I don't think Moscow has changed that much. Its character has always been
> what it is now. Same buildings, same family names, same roads, same
> university, same quiet little liberal leaning town.
> Donovan Arnold

Wouldn't it be amazing if it were the same? Well, it's not amazing, because
it's not the same. Let's look at the numbers in just a couple of demographics.

First, general population. In 1970 the Moscow City census was 14,146, and in
2010 it was 23,800, a difference of 9,654, and a growth percentage of 68.25%

In 1970 the Latah County population was 24,891, and in 2010 it was 37,244, a
difference of 12,353, and a growth percentage of 49.63%

In 2000 the Moscow City population was 21,291, and in 2010 it was 23,800, a
difference of 2,509, and a growth percentage of 11.8%

In 2000 the Latah County population was 34,395, and in 2010 it was 37,244, a
difference of 2,309, and a growth percentage of 6.6%

Second, the University of Idaho faculty population in 2001 was 916, and in
2010 it was 702, a reduction percentage of 23.4%

University of Idaho student population was 13,336 in Fall, 2002, semester,
peaked at 14,016 in Fall, 2003, and is at 12,302 for 2010.

So, a less than 8 percent enrollment drop over nearly a decade is juxtaposed
against an over 23 percent faculty roster decrease, while the city adjacent to
the university grew nearly 12 percent.

Why all these changes occurred is beyond the scope here, but, economically,
student fees increased steadily, and politically, support for education was
more polite than productive. Lower student interest and enrollment in a
nationally-noticed education college is an example illustrating the results of
statewide education leadership attitudes toward educators.

The same quiet little town is only the same on the surface. Personal computers
have reduced the need for a lot of busy-work involving paper, and, actually, a
lot more work gets done with the electronics working properly. Not only are
businesses more efficient, but students have to study more effectively because
there is less busy-work for them, too. The library card catalog with 3" x 5"
paper cards impaled on a metal rod in the bottom of a drawer is just a museum
piece, not a student research tool, as it was back in the day.

Nevertheless, I do think it's fine to consider Moscow to be a pale blue oasis
in a desert of deep red iniquity . . .

Ken