[Vision2020] The 1% in Congress

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 15 12:22:41 PST 2011

I knew my statement about not watching mainstream news would get a
response of some kind.  I truly find it to be much wiser to avoid the
approved dog and pony show and actively seek out my news on the net.  I
find out what people are saying, and if it interests me I research it.
If nothing else, I miss out on the pop culture crap.  For example, I
went weeks wondering why a friend of mine kept saying "Winning!" and
talking about tiger's blood.  Tell me you don't envy me that.

As for the OWS movement, I did some research.  I was prepared yesterday
to post a bunch of news stories where the goals of the movement were
mentioned, even obliquely.  The most coherent goals came out of
Louisville and Lexington Kentucky.  They seem to have their act
together.  Almost everything else boiled down vaguely to "we hate
corporate greed!".  For every news story where I could find some kind of
statement of their purpose (even if it was simply quoted words on a
protest sign), there were two that didn't mention them at all.  They are
failing big time to get their message out there.

This morning, I ran across a link to a page that listed a proposed list
of demands on the occupy wall street forum.  It's not an official list,
but if this is indicative of where the movement is heading, then they
might as well pack up and go home.  Here is the link:

http://occupywallst.org/forum/proposed-list-of-ows-demands/

For example, whoever wrote this wants to unionize all workers, institute
a minimum wage of $18/hr and a maximum of $90/hr, institute a moratorium
on all foreclosures and layoffs, lower the retirement age to 55,
increase Social Security benefits, allow workers to elect their
supervisors, and forgive all individual debt.  Gods above, entitled to
much are we?

I sure hope this was a joke or was posted by someone trying to make the
movement look bad, because if it's not we as a country are seriously
screwed.

The funny thing is, there are a few things we could agree upon.  I'm
against any attempts to game the markets, and I'm against
anti-competitive laws and regulations.  I could get behind an attempt to
reinstate Glass-Steagal, for example.  But right now I'd have to see
some actual proposals put forth by the OWSers before I even thought
about jumping on their band wagon.

If I had to pick one issue to get everyone behind that I thought would
give us the biggest bang for the buck, I'd suggest promoting instant
runoff voting (or a similar system) to give us the option of more than
two parties come election time.

Paul