[Vision2020] Caturday (November 12, 2011)

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sat Nov 12 08:25:46 PST 2011

Courtesy of "Java With Maryellen" at:

http://blogs.courant.com/java/2011/11/mark-twain-and-his-cats-featur.html

------------------------------
Mark Twain And His Cats Featured in "Cat Fancy" Magazine
 "I simply can't resist a cat, particularly a purring one. They are the cleanest, cunningest, and most intelligent things I know, outside of the girl you love, of course."
So said Samuel Clemens, aka Mark Twain, whose love of cats was well known by virtue of his own comments and those of the characters in his many books.
Now that love of cats, and how it is reflected at his home on Farmington Avenue in Hartford, will be featured in the January issue of "Cat Fancy" magazine.
Mark Twain House & Museum staffer Julia Pistell has written a feature story, "Literary Cat Lover" on Twain and his cats, as well as the colony of cats that still reside on the property.
"I've known about Twain's interest in cats for a long time and loved the magazine when I was growing up," explained Pistell. "I reached out to the magazine about a possible story and they said yes."
Besides tracing Twain's and the role his pet cats played in his life and career, the article also includes a sidebar on Pistell's cats, Buffalo Bill and Soapy Sall, both named after two of the legendary author's cats.
As far as the upcoming article, Pistell said "I think it brings out a personal side of Mark Twain."

Seeya round town, Moscow.

"A home without a cat, and a well-fed, well-petted and properly revered cat, may be a perfect home, perhaps, but how can it prove that title?"

- Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain)