[Vision2020] Just FYI: Recycling in Antarctica

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at frontier.com
Fri Nov 11 07:03:37 PST 2011

Recycling in Antarctica

By Maggie Koerth-Baker at 6:00 am Thursday, Nov 10

When I recycle, I have to separate out metal, plastic, chipboard, glass, plain
paper, glossy paper, and newsprint. That sounds like a lot of separating,
until you compare it to the recycling protocol at McMurdo Scientific Research
Station, Antarctica.

There is nothing at McMurdo that wasn't flown or shipped there from far away.
That costs a lot money. And, almost as importantly, it costs space. A crate of
Ramen means less room for people, scientific instruments, etc. Nothing arrives
in Antarctica without a purpose.

On the flip side of that coin: Everything that is brought to McMurdo must
leave, in one way or another. There aren't any landfills in Antarctica. All the
trash produced must be either burned, reused there, or flown back to
civilization.

More on the story, and pictures, at this link:

http://boingboing.net/2011/11/10/recycling-in-antarctica.html

Ken