[Vision2020] Let's talk about OccupyWherever

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at frontier.com
Sun Nov 6 15:26:42 PST 2011

On Sunday, November 06, 2011 11:55:05 AM Jay Borden wrote:
<[snip]>
> I have no love for any organization that manipulates the system to achieve
> a goal…

The exercise of power is manipulating the system ...

> but I have great respect for those that have achieved great wealth
> by playing by the rules,

So, you have great respect for those who designed, implemented, and benefited
from the current system of protection -- put in place by the nation's founding
fathers -- and perpetuated through generations of financial power executed
self-preferentially and to the disadvantage of most unorganized individuals.

> and I hold no ill-will towards their success or achievements. I also hold no
> ill-will towards wealthy folks that want to continue to hold on to that
> wealth,

Given generally privileged starting positions, and enhanced greed above and
beyond levels inherent in every living organism, that the wealthy evince
inertia to preserve their masses of wealth is hardly news. Whether such wealth
aggregations are optimally effective for the most productive well-being and the
continued healthy existence of the society that contains large disparities of
control of the means and uses of production is a more important matter.

> and I continue to decry efforts to simply rob them of their hard-earned
> success through lopsided tax policies that seem to find more public support
> because of their ability to punish as opposed to being just fair.

Those who put in place the current tax policies are the ones who benefit from
them. Tax policy is an exercise of power that has resulted in "lopsided tax
policies" that favor the current power structure incumbents. To call efforts to
change tax policy "rob[bing] them of their hard-earned success," which was
stolen fair-and-square with well-paid back-room lobbyists and campaign
contributions that brought the power of incumbency into corporate board rooms,
is simply to disparage the analogous efforts that brought financial power and
benefits to the incumbents in the first place. And they should be disparaged.

The question is how should we now go about changing the system to achieve a
new set of national, regional, organizational, and personal goals, consistent
with general notions of morality, ethics, and justice, and without general
destruction of wealth, property, and lives.

In the technical world of computer networking there is a model of network
architecture called the Open Systems Interconnection model. Its details here
are unimportant, except for the general observation that there are seven
levels of technical details between what one sees on one's computer screen and
the precise, exact patterns of voltage switching that comprise network, and
Internet, messaging through the wires and airwaves that connect us. The
interfaces between those seven levels need to be very precisely specified for
everything to work correctly.

What the Occupy Wall Street or Occupy Where Ever movements lack, at the
moment, are the architectural designs and the implementation details of the
necessary interfaces among the parties necessary to effect the changes needed
at several societal levels. Just as electrical circuits embody resistance, so
do political ones; therein lies a substantial part of the challenge.

The flow and control of political power needs newer and more flexibly designed
political circuitry to fashion more effective contemporary systems for the
benefit of more people. It's better that we design and implement such circuitry
than more destructive routes be allowed to occur through inaction to reduce
the pressures building on millions of people.

A few thousand very wealthy people need to understand that there are limits to
the patience, tolerance, and forbearance of great masses of people whose lives
have been, and continue to be, seriously adversely affected by social systems
that are less effective than they could, or should, be. Woe betide us all if
some American citizens start treating other American citizens as we have
treated those in other countries with whom we have some difference. We need to
design and to put in place interfaces and systems that will allow peaceful
transitions to more equitable and ethical economic enterprises to benefit all.

Ken