[Vision2020] Freeze Church DVD mailing

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 4 16:54:14 PDT 2011

"The same as all the rest of
the crackpots in the area that claim to have that ultimate truth that no one
else does, and if you don't believe everything they say (and tacitly: give them
money), then you are SOL for eternity."

You seem to take great pains to denigrate true believers as if they were evil conspirators set on bringing down society for their own twisted pleasures and financial gain.

This particular group doesn't strike me as living high on the hog, so I wouldn't classify them with the multimillion dollar televangelists.  They look more like a bunch of regular Joes that presumably truly believe what they are saying, and they care strongly enough about it to scrape enough together to mass-mail DVD's explaining their beliefs.  I don't find that so onerous, and it can even be seen as a caring gesture if you look at it from that perspective.

That being said, their beliefs are so dissimilar to my own beliefs that it's like we are on two different planets trying to communicate without knowing the others language.  My own beliefs don't require evangelization, and I often wish that other religions didn't require it, either.  Nevertheless, I accept their evangelism in the same way that I accept my friends rantings about the evils of Apple or my other friends in-depth descriptions of the design and construction of bee hive boxes: resignedly.  Presumably that's how my friends accept my constant discussion of various at-home programming projects I'm working on or my rantings about climate science.

Paul