[Vision2020] North Idaho College

Gier, Nicholas NGIER at uidaho.edu
Thu Nov 3 19:00:09 PDT 2011

Thanks, Tom, for posting these pictures of one of my favorite community colleges. As a Gandhi scholar I was especially pleased to see the new banner at the Human Rights Center. As some of you may know,this facility was built with some of the money the Aryan Nations were required to pay in the $6 million settlement from the Southern Poverty Law Center.

As faculty union president I visit the campus at least once a year to speak to faculty and take care of union business.  It is one of our most active chapters. The teachers are of high quality and work very hard.

NIC also has a superb president, who recently did the right thing and funded the steps in the faculty salary step system.  The policy manual stated explicitly that it had to be done, so the president complied.

Currently I'm on my annual "Southern Campus" tour of CWI, BSU, CSI, and ISU, where I am now for two days.

Thanks again, Tom.

Nick Gier

President, Idaho Federation of Teachers, AFT/AFL-CIO

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.

-Greek proverb