[Vision2020] Betrayed By City Council

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sat May 28 06:04:05 PDT 2011

Courtesy of today's (May 28, 2011) Moscow-Pullman Daily News with special
thanks to Brett Haverstick.

-------------------------

Betrayed by City Council

Walter Steed, Wayne Krauss, Tim Brown and Dan Carscallen stabbed all of us
in the back when they unanimously invited and encouraged the megaloads to
travel through Moscow. Sue Scott abstained and Tom Lamar was not in
attendance. While concerns and questions were addressed for the fire
department, police department, public works, etc., citizen opposition has
been completely ignored and apparently is not part of the equation.

To answer Carscallen's question, yes, many informed and educated people in
the community are opposed to the Alberta Tar Sands because it is genocide
against downstream First Nation communities and because it is the most
destructive project on the planet. With that being said, the megaload
could contain a 200-foot-long replica of Mother Teresa and I would still
be adamantly opposed to it. Dozens or possibly hundreds of megaloads will
no doubt have a negative impact on the integrity of our downtown
community.

To address Steed's comments, if he thinks his back door, narrow-minded
resolution to approve the megaloads is the end of this discussion, he is
in for a rude awakening. This is not an everyday matter, and he is acting
extremely irresponsible and naïve. I think the people of Moscow deserve
more respect. Maybe we should camp out on Steed's lawn and hand deliver
our comments to him personally.

As for Mayor Nancy Chaney, I would like to thank her for drafting a
resolution in opposition to the megaloads and showing genuine concern for
the residents of our community. Her resolution was a true act of
leadership and she deserves recognition for stepping up to the plate.
Carscallen, Lamar and Krauss are up for re-election in November. We are
stuck with Steed, Brown and Scott until 2013.

Brett Haverstick

-------------------------

City Council's May 16th discussion and documentation submitted by
Councilman Steed
http://www.moscowcares.com/051611_07_megaloadpubforumrep.htm

Mayor Chaney's proposed resolution (based on citizen comments)
www.moscowcares.com/highway12/draftresolution_051611.htm

Letter from Moscow Mayor Chaney to Idaho Transportation Department
Denouncing Transport of Megaloads Through Moscow
http://www.moscowcares.com/highway12/letter_chaney_itd_051811.htm

Stay tuned, Moscow.

More (LOTS MORE) to come.

and the Realist adjusts his sails."