[Vision2020] Humor in the News

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Wed May 18 16:07:18 PDT 2011

Tick tock goes the doomsday clock
By Jessica Ravitz, CNN

(CNN) - For months they've been spreading the word, answering the biblical call of Ezekiel 33 to sound the alarm and warn the people.

Their message, which they say the Bible guarantees, is simple: The end of the world is near.

And now, it's suddenly really near - so near that if these folks are right, you should probably pass on buying green bananas.

Perhaps you've already noticed, what with the billboards and signs dotting the landscape, the pamphlets blowing in the wind and the RVs plastered with Judgment Day warnings weaving through cities. Or maybe, as the birds chirped outside and you sipped your morning coffee, a full-page newspaper ad for the upcoming mass destruction caught your eye.

May 21, 2011, according to loyal listeners of Family Radio, a Christian broadcasting network based in Oakland, California, will mark the Day of Rapture and the start of Judgment Day (which, they say, will last five months). Those who are saved will be taken up to heaven, and those who aren't will endure unspeakable suffering. Dead bodies will be strewn about as earthquakes ravage the Earth, they say. And come October 21, they'll tell you, the entire world will be kaput.

It's the kind of belief that riles up churchgoers who insist no one can know when Judgment Day will come, and the sort that many say does a disservice to Christianity. And it's the kind of message that delights the types who are planning tongue-in-cheek End of the World parties and are responding to a Facebook invitation to attend a post-rapture looting. Rapture events, including one at a tiki bar in Fort Lauderdale, are being hosted by American Atheists. News outlets, comedians and even Doonesbury can't seem to resist a good end-of-the-world prophecy.

Billboard battle over Judgment Day

Earlier this year, CNN traveled with a team of believers - all of whom had walked away from friends, families and jobs - as they set out to share this serious message aboard a caravan of Judgment Day RVs. These ambassadors or co-laborers in God's work, as they see themselves, let us into their world. Along the way we met other supporters, as well as a sea of skeptics, many of them drunken pirates gathered for an annual festival in Florida.

Read about that journey and the roots of this doomsday message

With only days to go, we wanted to know how the ambassadors are feeling now. Are they making special plans and saying goodbyes? Have their convictions stayed strong, or have doubts crept in? Are they at peace, excited or maybe afraid?

"We've been a little busy, as you can imagine," said Fred Store, the team leader on our journey.

Reached at a motor home park in Providence, Rhode Island, Store spoke of the surge of support he's seen in recent months - the 60 like-minded people (including someone who works for Homeland Security, he boasted) who joined his small crew on the Mall in Washington, and the hundreds who gathered in Times Square in New York.

But at the same time he said resistance from those who don't believe has grown, too. The more people heard about the May 21 warning, the more they discussed it with their pastors and came prepared to argue.

Learn about doomsdays throughout time

And the media, while they've helped spread the message, will be turned away in the coming days. CNN hoped to be with Store and his team on doomsday, but the members said they needed that time to focus on their relationship with God. Perhaps that's just as well, as an official at Family Radio headquarters pointed out: "What makes you think you'll be able to get to them? The roads will be a mess," he said, referring to the expected earthquakes. Plus, Store said, even if we got there, there would be no time to edit and publish, so what's the point?

Store's faith remains unwavering. Come Saturday, he and his team will be in Boston, standing in a spot with heavy foot traffic, passing out their pamphlets - which they call tracts - and doing what they believe God called them to do until the very end.

No longer with the team is Darryl Keitt, who ditched his caravan on May 6. He said his time on the RV was a "gift from God," but he decided he needed to spend the last couple of weeks focusing on his non-believing family and friends in New Jersey. It was a decision he prayed about for several weeks.

His Elizabeth, New Jersey, apartment is pretty sparse, seeing as he gave away most everything before hitting the road.

"I was able to get my old place back," he said. "But we only have four days to go, so I don't need much."

He's reaching out to old friends and hoping his family will come around and believe what he says he knows to be true.

"I have not seen any signs that they are believing the message," he said. "But I can't read anybody's heart; only God can. And I'm still praying for them. All I can do is continue to share my convictions."

Tisan Dawud may not share his older half-brother's beliefs, but he supports the positive nature of what Keitt's doing and is awestruck by his dedication.

"He's trying to spread what he believes is the word of God, and I can't knock him for that," Dawud said Tuesday evening. "I became Muslim when I was very young, and he remained Christian. But I've always had respect for his beliefs, and he always had respect for my beliefs."

And rather than criticize or ridicule his brother, who he said isn't hurting anyone, Dawud wishes people would focus on those who deserve examination and condemnation - those selling drugs, molesting children, raping women or embezzling money, for example.

Keitt spends his days in prayer, reaching out to people on Facebook, listening to Family Radio and walking around his neighborhood in his Judgment Day cap and T-shirt. He ran out of tracts some time ago, and at this point it's too late to order any more, he said. As for where he'll be on Saturday: "It's a good question," and one he's still considering.

He doesn't like goodbyes, he said, and only told two people in his caravan team of 10 that he was leaving. He gave those two men, one of them Store, a quick hug and that was it.

"Preferably we'll meet each other again," Keitt said, "in heaven."

Dennis Morrell was driving through Jacksonville, Florida, pulling his Judgment Day billboard trailer, when we reached him on his cell phone. He wasn't part of the caravan of RVs but was among the Floridians who joined in to help Store's team when they were in the city.

Morell and his wife quit their jobs to focus on warning others, a move that's left their four kids - ages 17 to 24 - thinking "Mom and Dad are crazy," he said.

He still hopes God will "open their spiritual eyes," he said. "But they're at an age where they love their lives. They don't want this world to come to an end."

His faith, though, is as firm as ever, and he wishes others would open their minds and hearts to this possibility.

"Why would you wait to see if this is actually going to happen? You have that option to cry out for mercy," he said. "I don't want to die and go to hell. Do you?"

He plans to spend the last days praying, up until the early hours of Saturday - when he'll both pray and wait for 16 hours.

Why 16 hours? Morrell explained that the massive doomsday earthquake will start at the International Date Line before moving west. New Zealand, he said, will get hit first - at 6 p.m. local time. And then that wave of destruction will roll around the world, wreaking havoc at 6 p.m. in each time zone.

While Morrell expects he'll reserve Saturday for private time, Benjamin Ramrajie of Ocala, Florida, doesn't have any special plans.

We met Ramrajie in Tampa after his 7-year-old daughter issued a doomsday warning about how the sun would "turn red like blood." He stood by and nodded his approval as she spoke about dead bodies and her fears of dying.

"Most of my family doesn't agree 100 percent, and I don't blame them because it is far-fetched," he said. "I strongly believe it's going to happen. But I just figure I'll relax, maybe watch TV. If that's the day we get raptured, great. If not, we'll move on."

     Posted by: Jessica Ravitz - CNN Writer/Producer

      Filed under: Bible . Christianity . Culture wars . End times . Faith Now

Next entry »Report on Catholic priests' sex abuse of minors finds no single cause
« Previous entryMy Take: May 21st doomsday movement harms Christianity
soundoff (3,281 Responses)
  1.. Jean Hochu

  Atheists and non-believers are not concerned.

  May 18, 2011 at 4:50 pm | | Reply
  2.. Beth

  What's sad is the havoc some of these end of days believers have wreaked on their families and children. NPR had a story where various of them quit jobs, spent savings and the kid's college money, all because it wouldn't be needed down the line.

  In the larger picture, the extent to which fundamentalist beliefs have infiltrated our politics and culture is far from funny. Politicians in order to be "electable" have to feign religious piety. Schools are under fire to ban books and add ridiculous "alternate to evolution" teachings to the roster, science and history are under attack everywhere.

  Doomsday is any day that facts and proven theories are allowed to be set aside and shouted down and where anyone's on the soapbox opinion is given the same respect as an expert one.

  These people are dangerous and deserving of scorn. Like the "birthers' they can't be convinced by facts and probabilities, and it is all driven by a need to feel special and better than others, under the guise of religious zeal.

  I'

  May 18, 2011 at 4:50 pm | | Reply
  3.. Roy N. Vollmer

  This doomsday prediction is nothing more than an insult to all of the people worldwide who have lost loved ones and property from the many natural disasters that have occurred in recent months and must deal with this loss always.

  May 18, 2011 at 4:50 pm | | Reply
  4.. Homer

  oh they are gonna feel soooo silly the next day, like I do when I got drunk the night before.

  May 18, 2011 at 4:50 pm | | Reply
  5.. His Praise, His Glory, His Majesty

  This is real all you foolish people. You do not have 4 days left.
  Bow on your knees now or face the wrath.
  The Angels of death will smote all you sinners.

  May 18, 2011 at 4:50 pm | | Reply
  6.. Thinquer

  NO ONE KNOWS THE DAY AND THE HOUR, NOT EVEN THE SON. ONLY THE FATHER.

  Matthew 24:36-42
  So how is it that these people say they know what not even Jesus Christ knows?

  May 18, 2011 at 4:50 pm | | Reply
  7.. Peter

  What a sad and pathetic bunch of complete losers.

  May 18, 2011 at 4:51 pm | | Reply
  8.. Mike

  These same people were calling for the end of the world in the 80s as well.

  May 18, 2011 at 4:51 pm | | Reply
  9.. The Bobinator

  Now that you've written all that, can you prove which bits are valid and which ones are not, given the bible does in fact have sections that contain forgeries (Snake handling for example).

  May 18, 2011 at 7:57 am | | Reply
  10.. xxsevensxx

  Cool story, bro.

  May 18, 2011 at 9:07 am | | Reply
  11.. HeavenSent

  Bobinator, snake handling is a metaphor ... knowledge how to or know when ... dealing with evil people.

  Amen.

  May 18, 2011 at 9:18 am | | Reply
  12.. The Bobinator

  > Bobinator, snake handling is a metaphor ... knowledge how to or know when ... dealing with evil people.

  Reading comprehension isn't your strong suit is it? I'm saying that snake handling is known by biblical scholars to be added much later and a fraud. I'm not commenting on the overall message.

  If the bible contains errors, then every aspect of the bible needs to be investigated. Like how it's mighty odd that Matt 27:52-53 says the holy men rose from their graves and walked around town, yet no historian recorded such an event. Just like how no historian recorded the slaughter of the male children when Jesus was born.

  Kind of odd wouldn't you say?

  May 18, 2011 at 9:46 am | | Reply
  13.. Helia

  Amazing! I guess you haven;t read profound in Revalation the verse that says "...NO ONE knows the day nor time when the world will come to an end NOT EVEN the Son of our Heavenly Father.." -- "..be ready because I will COME AS A THIEF!..." Really are you trying to fight or challenge those verses. Religions is what gives Christian a bad name [those who believe in Christ are called Christian] . I don't follow a religion just the Father and the Son because all these religion now days have misinterpratation! Can't wait to see your post next month, it will be cool to see it on Monday!

  May 18, 2011 at 9:50 am | | Reply
  14.. hey

  too long. Did not read.

  May 18, 2011 at 9:53 am | | Reply
  15.. Holy Diver

  Last I checked; Jesus was Jewish. So, if you go to Temple on Friday Night or Saturday Morning you can "Repent" for seperating yourselves from Judaism, and giving Jesus a new Religon.... Jesus was a Rabbi and a good man; nothing more...Get over it.

  May 18, 2011 at 9:53 am | | Reply
  16.. cliff

  seriously dude...it's like arguing about whether superman could beat spiderman - it's ALL make-believe

Wayne A. Fox
1009 Karen Lane
PO Box 9421
Moscow, ID  83843