[Vision2020] Response to Joe, Donovan [More]

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Wed May 18 09:55:43 PDT 2011

Very interesting exchange in this thread.

Some of the questions and problems discussed are addressed (I think)
in the series "Closer to Truth: Cosmos Consciousness God" and
specifically in this episode, that apparently is viewable online, with
John Leslie (bio:
http://www.closertotruth.com/participant/John-Leslie/56 ), that asks
"Is God All Knowing?"
http://www.closertotruth.com/video-profile/Is-God-All-Knowing-John-Leslie-/357

KSPS PBS from Eastern Washington U. that is available locally (three
digital KSPS channels can be received "off the air" with rabbit ears
if you're in a favorable location in the Moscow area... I've done it)
is running "Closer to Truth" as the following schedule shows:
http://tvlistings.zap2it.com/tvlistings/ZCSGrid.do?fromTimeInMillis=1301372596620&stnNum=47256&channel=7.2&sgt=grid
------------------------
http://www.closertotruth.com/about-ctt

I guess this list of episodes are viewable on the Internet:

http://www.closertotruth.com/webisode-list
------------------------
Apparently this scholar is behind the series:

Robert Lawrence Kuhn

For Robert Lawrence Kuhn, Closer To Truth is a lifelong passion. With
a doctorate in brain science and the author or editor of more than 30
books, Dr. Kuhn is a public intellectual who speaks and writes
frequently. His article "Science as Democratizer," featured in
American Scientist magazine, argues how the scientific way of thinking
can influence global society; and "Why This Universe: A Taxonomy of
Possible Explanations," featured in Skeptic Magazine, presents a
universally exhaustive set of "ultimate reality generators."
Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett

On 5/18/11, Joe Campbell <philosopher.joe at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>

>> Given the above, the issue of determinism and freewill in the context of
>> the Problem of Evil can then be characterized thusly:
>>
>> A.    Did God when creating the universe, plan it down to the very last
>> detail and then executed that plan exactly?  Did God impose upon all
>> things
>> a "law of all things" from the beginning such that everything in the
>> universe always acts like the die in the perfect die throwing machine --
>> all
>> outcomes, events, etc were/are completely predictable (known) to God.  If
>> so, that is what I mean by "determinism" in the context of the Problem of
>> Evil.  There is no outcome that God, being omniscient, did not know
>> (predict) would happen.  There is no randomness in the system.
>>
>> Or
>>
>> B.    Did God when creating the universe leave an element of randomness
>> in its plan of the universe, and did not attend to every last detail,
>> randomness say in the form of human "freewill," so that not all outcomes
>> were completely predictable (known) by God.
>>
>> If the later, then there are random events of which God would not have
>> been
>> cognizant of at the moment of creation or before they occurred, and
>> therefore God would not be omniscient at the moment of creation or at
>> anytime before any of these random events occur.
>>
>> Simpler:
>>
>> A.    Did God plan everything, and being omnipotent, everything happens
>> that way, and being omniscient, God knows exactly what will happen, and
>> hence everything is determined (predictable by God), despite appearances?
>>
>> or
>>
>> B.    Did God plan almost everything, but left an element of
>> chance/randomness in its plan in the form of the freewill of humankind,
>> and
>> thus God could not predict everything from the moment of creation, and
>> hence God not omniscient?
>>

>> Simpler yet (like the old Clairol ads):
>>
>> A.    Does He know
>>
>> or
>>
>> B.    doesn't He know?
>>
>> If A, then all is determined, regardless of the conscious feeling of
>> choice
>> experienced by humankind.
>>
>> If B, then freewill exists, but God is not omniscient having chosen to
>> give
>> up complete predictability.
>>

>> What is very important in discussing this issue is to distinguish between
>> there being actual freewill and there being the appearance of free will.
>> There is little doubt that many people believe they are exercising free
>> will.  That belief may or may not be true.  The more we learn about human
>> behavior, the more determined (and predictable) it becomes.
>>
>> God, being omnipotent, could certainly create a universe where people
>> believe they were exercising free choice, but in fact, their actions were
>> completely determined (predictable)  by God at the point of creation.

>>> B. F. Skinner and followers, and the advancement of the biological
> [...]
>>> comprehensible answer except that the question calls for the existence of
>>> an
>>> impossible state of reality.
>>>

>>> Although omniscience is used as a separate property in the discussion of
>>> the Problem of Evil, in really omniscience is a sub-property of
>>> omnipotence
>>> -- the power of knowing everything.  So then the question becomes:
>>> "Could
>>> an omnipotent being destroy its own omnipotence?"  This is another
>>> example of a question containing or leading to a contradiction, and thus
>>> without a possible comprehensible answer except that the question calls
>>> for
>>> the existence of an impossible state of reality.
>>>

>>> The question of whether causation is transitive or not, or stated as "Is
>>> the universe a system of inexorably related (call the relation cause)
>>> between everything in it or not?" is not relevant to the issue.  Either
>>> an omnipotent God knew exactly what it was doing when it created the
>>> universe or not.  If so, then everything resulting from his plan of
>>> creation is determined, and if not, then God lacks omniscience.
>>>

>>> I am at a loss to understand your fourth point.  In the context of those
>>> who believe in an omniscient God, the word "omniscient" means:  "At all
>>> times past, present and future God knows everything, past, present, and
>>> future.  There is nothing (no bit of knowledge, fact, fancy, or feeling)
>>> that God does not know or did not know."  In my discussion that is the
>>> meaning I have taken.  How can there be a lesser kind of omniscience than
>>> full and complete knowledge?  "God is omniscient and knows everything
>>> except what will happen next Tuesday" would be a contradiction.
>>>

>>> There are very interesting questions arising from the assertion that an
>>> omniscient being exists or could even exist.  How could such a being be
>>> sure of its knowledge?  Where and how is this knowledge stored?  What
>>> does it mean to say that some being knows everything?  Etc.  I have not
>>> addressed these issues.  I have only addressed the problems that arise
>>> when it is asserted along with other statements that "At all times past,
>>> present and future God knows everything, past, present, and future.
>>> There
>>> is nothing (no bit of knowledge, fact, fancy, or feeling) that God does
>>> not
>>> know or did not know."
>>>

>>> Further, I make no claim that the traditional usage of the words
>>> "omnipotent," "omniscient," and "omnibenevolent" make sense or describe
>>> possible states of reality.  I am merely taking the words as they are
>>> used by certain believers and apologists then showing that such
>>> linguistic
>>> usage leads to a contradiction.  I suspect that asserting "God is
>>> omnipotent" makes about the same amount of sense that asserting that "The
>>> square root of jelly vulcanizes justice" does.

>>> evil (the opposite of good) can exist if God is omnibenevolent and in