[Vision2020] Luna Cautions Teachers About Political Activities

Sue Hovey suehovey at moscow.com
Tue May 17 15:04:46 PDT 2011

Roger, et al,  This sounds so simple:  be political only after hours.  But a
good teacher, regardless of subject brings herself into her teaching; her
thoughts, her motives, her political ideology.  And kids are not simple;
they recognize, and do not necessarily commit to, her ideology.  How could I
not teach slavery was an evil institution or not teach that women are
entitled to full and equal rights as citizens of this nation? Or that, from
my perspective the Constitution is a living document, capable of meeting the
needs of a changing culture.   In any classroom discussion of current events
anything that happens is by nature, germane.  I was lucky as a high school
social studies teacher in Moscow.  I was the recognized Democrat, Bob Weisel
the recognized Republican.  When we had kids working for credit during the
election seasons he worked with the students who wanted to help the
Republicans and I with those who sided with the Dems.  What both he and I
wanted was for all our students to recognize the importance of being
politically involved.  We tried to make it easy for them to do so, but the
choice was theirs.  There was a time when I thought ethical teachers had to
be neutral in class.  I tried so diligently that one of my students came in
to thank me personally for supporting Steve Symms.  I then decided I had
carried neutrality much too far.

Tom Luna is simply trying to intimidate teachers.  That was the intent of
the 3 laws.  Not only do they penalize good teachers, they place a terrible
burden on administrators and school district trustees--and small districts
are significantly at risk of losing good veteran teachers.  With the loss of
state funding for salaries, districts are going to have to search for ways
to keep teachers in every classroom.  As seniority can no longer be a
criterion and with the other criteria much less specific, districts may
decide to release one, more highly paid teacher to get two for less money.
That's what Luna's bills are all about--getting teachers on the cheap, and
rewarding his hardware and software contractors as well as legislators who
pushed through his bills.

  Those of us who are working to carry petitions are doing so out of class
(well I'm retired, so it's easy,) and through our personal email addresses.
IEA officers have been adamant--do not use your school email.  What does
happen is if a parent is interested in signing a petition, the only email
they probably have access to is the teacher's school email.  In a reply
teachers always refer them to their personal emails, but the original
message from the parents comes through the only address they have.

I have sent  response to the Trib and the DN hoping it will get printed
soon.  It's another take on all this, but believe me, every time I reread
the laws, I find a new issue.

There isn't much more time left to get these petitions signed.  Please if
you haven't done so, consider it and call me.  I will come to your house to
get your signature, if you need for me to do that.   882-3380
208-301-2208 or just reply to this by email.

Think about it:  You cannot put our students first, if you put their
teachers last......

Sue Hovey