[Vision2020] Phantom Energy: Dark Energy with w<-1 Causes a Cosmic Doomsday

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Sun May 15 20:37:48 PDT 2011

Phys. Rev. Lett. 91, 071301 (2003) [4 pages]

http://prl.aps.org/abstract/PRL/v91/i7/e071301

Phantom Energy: Dark Energy with w<-1 Causes a Cosmic Doomsday

Robert R. Caldwell1, Marc Kamionkowski2, and Nevin N. Weinberg2
1Department of Physics & Astronomy, Dartmouth College, 6127 Wilder
Laboratory, Hanover, New Hampshire 03755, USA
2Mail Code 130-33, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena,
California 91125, USA

Received 20 February 2003; published 13 August 2003

We explore the consequences that follow if the dark energy is phantom
energy, in which the sum of the pressure and energy density is
negative. The positive phantom-energy density becomes infinite in
finite time, overcoming all other forms of matter, such that the
gravitational repulsion rapidly brings our brief epoch of cosmic
structure to a close. The phantom energy rips apart the Milky Way,
solar system, Earth, and ultimately the molecules, atoms, nuclei, and
nucleons of which we are composed, before the death of the Universe in
a “big rip.”

© 2003 The American Physical Society

DOI:
10.1103/PhysRevLett.91.071301