[Vision2020] Of Sex and Free Love . . .

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri May 13 12:32:21 PDT 2011

For those of you whose news source is limited to the Moscow-Pullman Daily
News, there does exist, right here in Moscow, a public university that
predates 1994.  And since you won't find any reference in the Daily News
(without browsing back page space filler), here is a little something . . .

Courtesy of the 1952 edition of the University of Idaho Gem of the Mountain
yearbook.

---------------------------------

"Of Sex and Free Love . . .

And another year has closed on life at the University of Idaho.  The time
covered between September 1951 and June 1952, saw new laurels and honors
bestowed on Idaho, and also saw a pleasant balance of achievements and
disappointments for Idaho students.

For this was the year that Idaho recaptured the nationwide collegiate blood
title, in regard to percentage of students giving blood.  It was the ASUI,
you remember, that initiated the first student sponsored blood drive that
has since become commonplace among the nation's campuses (or campi, if you
prefer).

This was the year that the Third Party Association, wading through Argonaut
and presidential opposition, cane into semi-power with the election of Ray
Cox to the ASUI presidency and two TPA'ers to the Exec board.

This was the year of the Cox-conceived Reverse Panty Raid, beginning at
three in the morning, and including a pre-dawn dance, downtown serpentine,
and a classless Friday, for those courageous enough to benefit from it.

And this was the year of the picnic and party.  Any organized resistance
faded as the year faded, until the last month of school, when students
floated to classes and were poured into bed.  But a grand time was had by
all, except the administration, who failed to realize that a college
education is more than a simple quest for good grades.

We of The Gem staff have tried to provide sufficient visual memories of
these and many other events in this, the 50th volume of The Gem of the
Mountains.  Compared to past Gems, you will find the arrangement unique, to
say the least.  The key to this edition is supposed to be integration.
Whether we have succeeded or not is entirely up to you, our severest critic.

Naturally, orchids go all over the place when it comes to giving credit for
the book.  Andy Tozier and Sheila Janssen, who did in two weeks what the
living groups editor couldn't do in two semesters, are at the top of the
list.  And certainly this book couldn't be published without the full help
and cooperation of all the other staff members, with Carla Brodd, Bill
Boyden, Bob Stivers, Jack Marineau, and Jean Whittemore as standouts.

To Gale Mix go special, ultra-rare Lower Hindustani orchids for all the
invaluable assistance he gave us all, and, from the editor's standpoint, for
never inquiring how far the Gem was behind.  It gets a little embarrassing
when you have to say, "Oh, four or five months or so."

Another carton of orchids go to Bob Freeman and Ralph York of Syms-York
Company, and to Ken Miller, of Western Engraving Company, for
multi-assistance and unbelievable patience while waiting in April for the
November copy to trickle through.  Also those fabulous flowers go to
Hutchinson's, Rudy's, and Sterner studios, and Kyle's photo shop, for
working super-duper hard to produce our prints on time.  And the list goes
on and on.  To everyone who gave us a lift, a big thanks.

So here is your 1952 Gem of the Mountains.  As all editors say in their
post-mortem remarks, we hope you like it, and (what the more tactful and
discreet don't say) if  you don't like it, that's rough, because we really
can't do it over again.

Finally, forgive the head on this final burst of hackneyed journalism, but I
did want you all to read this, and I knew too well that anxious eyes never
pass up the forbidden fruit.

Jerry McKee, Editor"

Here's something a little old (now), a little new (in 1952)

UI_SUB_1952.jpg

Seeya round town, Vandals.

UI '96

Came a tribe from the north brave and bold . . .

"Here We Have Idaho"

http://www.tomandrodna.com/HWHI.mp3

"I-D-A-H-O Idaho Idaho Go Go Go"

http://www.tomandrodna.com/Vandals.mp3