[Vision2020] Angry Hens

Joe Campbell philosopher.joe at gmail.com
Fri May 6 13:24:39 PDT 2011

Haven't found out much about this but I'll keep looking. My guess is
castration isn't a factor in recidivism. Sex crimes are primarily (though
not exclusively) crimes of violence. Though it doesn't mention "castration,"
the data on this site is interesting:

http://www.atsa.com/ppOffenderFacts.html

Actually "recidivism" is ambiguous. In some studies, the recidivism rate for
being arrested is 40+%. On the website noted above it says "sexual offense
recidivism rates are much lower than commonly believed, averaging between 14
and 20% over 5-year follow-up periods." (Does this sound right? Sorry if I
missed a previous posting of these statistics! It is hard to keep up.) Note
the difference between arrest (for any crime) vs. sexual offense recidivism
rates.

It is important to keep in mind, however, that to say sex crimes are
under-reported is an understatement. On other websites I looked at today, it
was claimed that only 1/3 of all sex crimes are reported and that about 80%
of rape victims do not report it. So true recidivism rates are difficult to
determine.

There is a podcast called Philosophy Bites with an interesting recent
interview of Catherine MacKinnon on gender crimes, a very related topic. It
is available for free on iTunes or from this website:

http://www.philosophybites.libsyn.com/