[Vision2020] More of the GOP Targeting Our Youth & Economically Challenged Parents

Saundra Lund v2020 at ssl1.fastmail.fm
Thu Mar 31 22:20:21 PDT 2011

The hits just keep coming, and it's absolutely *disgusting* to me the real
motive behind so many is to improve the lot of for-profit businesses while
harming the least among us.

If these GOP legislators had any shame -- which they've proven time & again
this legislative session that they don't -- they would have, in tandem with
this hair-brained idea, done away with mandatory driver-training program for
those under 17.  I know the "quality" of some of these for-profit driving
schools, and they certainly are no more capable than many parents can do
without having to shell out $350.  Currently, MHS charges $135, so an
increase to $350 would be a whopping 40% increase, and increase many
families could ill-afford  As it is, the rank hypocrisy of the GOP's motive
is glaringly apparent.

SL

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2011/03/31/1587391/idaho-house-to-debate-cutti
ng.html

March 31, 2011
Idaho House to debate cutting driver's ed funding
By JESSIE L. BONNER - Associated Press

Idaho would no longer help cover the cost of driver's education classes at
public schools, under a bill before the 2011 Legislature.

Republican lawmakers advanced legislation Thursday to strip state funding
from driver's ed classes, essentially ending the $125-per student subsidy
for programs that have been offered through Idaho's public schools since
1948. The bulk of the money would be redirected into a public school rainy
day account.

The changes would leave either students or schools to pick up the slack.
Idaho's wannabe teen drivers already pay $180 to $200 of the total $325 cost
of driver's ed classes, according to lawmakers behind the measure.

Republican Rep. Steve Thayn of Emmett contends his bill aims to spur debate
about education spending.

"It's a matter of priorities," he said. "Should we continue to subsidize
each student that takes driver's training from a public school or reallocate
those funds back into the classroom?"

Student fees covered roughly half the total $2.3 million cost of public
driver's education courses in Idaho schools last year. The state reimbursed
school districts for the remaining $1.3 million, at a rate of $125 per
student enrolled in the training courses, using money collected from
driver's license fees.

The Republican-dominated House Education Committee advanced Thyan's bill on
a party-line vote.

Critics, primarily Democrats, contend the legislation jeopardizes access to
public driver's training courses and will put the cost out of reach for some
families.

"Our rural students are driving and they have a lot of responsibilities,
especially in our farming areas. They need to have the training," said
Democratic Rep. Donna Pence of Gooding.

State law requires anyone under age 17 applying for a driver's license to
complete a driver-training program. About 10,000 students took public
driver's ed courses in Idaho school districts last year, according to the
state Department of Education.

Supporters of the changes included operators of private driver's ed
businesses, who contend the subsidies for public driver's ed programs create
an uneven playing field. Private driver's ed courses cost between $325 and
$350, lawmakers said.

"You're subsidizing a product that's in direct competition to free
enterprise," said Kim Hatch, whose family operates Hatch's Drivers Training
in Meridian.

Democratic Rep. Susan Chew of Boise countered that the programs were about
safety.

"I thought that the reason we were subsidizing it, is so when I get out in
my car I don't have to run into a crazy kid that hasn't been trained," Chew
said.