[Vision2020] Sexual Revelations about Gandhi Blown out of Proportion (Resent and Explained)

nickgier at roadrunner.com nickgier at roadrunner.com
Wed Mar 30 11:31:01 PDT 2011

Hi Roger,

I forgot to put in "vision 2020" in my initial posting so when I forwarded it, it appeared as an attachment.

Until the sensational and distorted reviews (in the staid Wall Street Journal no less) of Joseph Lelyveld's new biography came out, I had not publicized my own work on Gandhi's sexuality widely, primarily because it could be easily misinterpreted.  It was, however, published in India in 2007 with only one angry e-mail and only one long distance call.

As far as I can tell initially, this new biography has been misinterpreted.  From my research I'm convinced that Gandhi had sexual relations only with his wife, but very intimate relations with a number of women.  If he had any attraction for men, I would have invited them to his bed as well.  He was insistent that his chastity "experiments" would work only with women!

Now that the misinterpretation of Gandhi's sexuality is world-wide, I decided to make my own work more widely public--not to embarrass Gandhi but to protect him.

Here is my initial post.

Good Morning Visionaries:

I'm glad that the author of the new Gandhi biography has responded quickly, but
you know that famous quotation about lies going around the earth 10 times before
the truth catches up (approx.).

It is true that, while in South Africa, Gandhi expressed deep affection for a
German peace activist, but he certainly did not leave his poor wife for him.

It is also true, sadly, that Gandhi did take advantage of the innocence of some
young women (and older women who should have know better)in his bizarre
experiments testing his chastity.  As far as we know, he always passed with
flying (but not erect) colors.

I've written about this in my article "Was Gandhi a Tantric?" and you can read
it in various versions at www.class.uidaho.edu/ngier/GandhiTantric.htm.

MUMBAI, India — A state in western India banned Pulitzer-Prize winner Joseph
Lelyveld's new book about Mahatma Gandhi on Wednesday after reviews saying it
hints that the father of India's independence had a homosexual relationship. The
author says his work is being misinterpreted.

More bans have been proposed in India, where homosexuality was illegal until
2009 and still carries social stigma.

Gujarat's state assembly voted unanimously Wednesday to immediately ban "Great
Soul: Mahatma Gandhi and His Struggle With India."

The furor was sparked by local media reports, based on early reviews out of the
U.S. and U.K., some of which emphasized passages in the book suggesting Gandhi
had an intimate relationship with a German man named Hermann Kallenbach.

"Great Soul" has not yet been released in India, so few here have actually read
Lelyveld's writings.

"The book does not say that Gandhi was bisexual or homosexual," Lelyveld wrote
in an email. "It says that he was celibate and deeply attached to Kallenbach.
This is not news."

He noted that his book _ which is said is about Gandhi's struggle for social
justice and the evolution of his social values _ is available both in the U.S.
and as an e-book download.

"It should not be hard for anyone to determine what it actually says," Lelyveld
wrote. " It's a pious hope, but I'd say someone might take the trouble to look
at it before it's banned."

Several reviews of "Great Soul" detailed its sections on Gandhi's relationship
with Kallenbach.

Writing in the Wall Street Journal, Andrew Roberts said that the only portrait
on the mantelpiece opposite Gandhi's bed was of Kallenbach.

"How completely you have taken possession of my body," reads one widely quoted
letter from Gandhi to Kallenbach. "This is slavery with a vengeance."

Britain's Daily Mail ran an article under the blaring headline: "Gandhi 'left
his wife to live with a male lover' new book claims."

The Mumbai Mirror on Tuesday ran a front page story under the headline "Book
claims German man was Gandhi's secret love," which quoted the same passages as
Roberts.

Sudhir Kakar, a psychoanalyst who has written about Gandhi's sexuality and
reviewed some of his correspondence with Kallenbach, said he does not believe
the two men were lovers.

"It is quite a wrong interpretation," he said.

Gandhi's great goals were nonviolence, celibacy and truth, he said.

"The Hindu idea is that sexuality has this elemental energy which gets
dissipated," Kakar said. "If it can be sublimated and contained it can give you
spiritual power. Gandhi felt his political power really came from his celibacy,
from his spiritual power."

He said Gandhi often filled his letters, including those to female associates,
with strong love language, but that did not lead to physical intimacy.

"Nothing happened," he said. "He is telling his feelings, but they are platonic.
They are not put into action. That would have been terrible for him."

Politicians in the state of Maharashtra, home to India's financial capital
Mumbai, have also called for a ban on the book and, along with Gujarat's chief
minister Narendra Modi, have asked the central government to bar publication
nationwide.

Modi said Lelyveld should apologize publicly for "hurting the sentiments of
millions of people."

"It has become a fashion to tarnish the image of great Indian leaders for self
publicity and sale of books," said Sanjay Dutt, spokesman for the ruling
Congress Party in Maharashtra. "The government should invoke a law to severely
punish anyone who tarnishes the image of the father of the nation."

Ranjit Hoskote, a writer and general secretary of PEN India, which fights for
free expression, condemned the ban and said local media had misconstrued both
Lelyveld's intentions and the nature of Gandhi's relationship with Kallenbach.

"You can't cite a worse example of third hand reportage and comment," he said.
"How can you ban a book you haven't read?"

He said Gandhi's correspondence with Kallenbach has been available in library
archives for decades. "There's no secret. There is no scandal," he said.

___

Associated Press writers R.K. Misra in Ahmedabad and Aijaz Ansari in Mumbai
contributed to this report.