[Vision2020] Says It All

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sat Mar 26 14:18:03 PDT 2011

"Thousands on the roads, the abandoned railtracks, tonight, bums
   on the outside, libraries inside.  It wasn't planned, at first.
   Each man had a book he wanted to remember, and did.  Then, over a
   period of twenty years or so, we met each other, traveling, and
   got the loose network together and set out a plan.  The most
   important single thing we had to pound into ourselves is that
   we're not important, we mustn't be pedants; we were not to feel
   superior to anyone else in the world.  We're nothing more than
   dust jackets for books, of no significance otherwise.  Some of
   us live in small towns.  Chapter One of Thoreau's _Walden_ in
   Green River, Chapter Two in Willow Farm, Maine.  Why, there's one
   town in Maryland, only twenty-seven people, no bomb'll ever touch
   that town, is the complete essays of a man named Bertrand Russell.
   Pick up that town, almost, and flip the pages, so many pages
   to a person.  And when the war's over, someday, some year, the
   books can be written again, the people will be called in, one by
   one, to recite what they know and we'll set it up in type until
   another Dark Age, when we might have to do the whole damn thing
   over again.  But that's the wonderful thing about man; he never
   gets so discouraged or disgusted that he gives up doing it all
   over again, because he knows very well it is important and *worth*
   the doing."

- A quote from the Book People of "Fahrenheit 451"

We here in Moscow can assure Bob Greene, from our hearts, that BookPeople
was worth the doing.

"Moscow Cares" is seeking to procure a bench, to be placed either in
Friendship Square or East City Park for inscription of, and dedication to,
Bob Greene.  If anybody cares to join "Moscow Cares" in this venture,
please contact me off list.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

and the Realist adjusts his sails."

- Unknown