[Vision2020] Firearms Bill Worries Campus

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at frontier.com
Fri Mar 25 12:51:50 PDT 2011

On Friday 25 March 2011 11:03:03 lfalen wrote:
> I don't know if you are trying to be funny or what.

Disregarding compositional style, the purpose was to combine two old
philosophical tools to make a contemporary point. The first tool was to show
something true by indicating its opposite incorrect. The second tool was to
ask whether something would be acceptable were it applied to everyone.

> I do not think that everyone is going to suddenly start carrying a gun.
> There would probably only be a handful who do so.

Whatever permission is granted, or not, must apply to everyone, not just those
who choose to act as if permission granted, or denied, matched their choice.

> The bigger problem would be in identifying those who have a gun.

If concealed-carry is a problem to identify in a particular venue, then the
problem may be avoided by denying everyone permission to carry there.

> Those that want to pack a gun would probably do so, legal or not. Roger

In a desirable society, not a war, carrying weapons is irrational. If carrying
weapons in a society not at war is rational, the society is undesirable. To
maintain the desirability of a society, weapon-carrying must be irrational.

Ken