[Vision2020] Voice of Experience

Ron Force rforce2003 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 25 10:40:17 PDT 2011

Idaho’s guns-on-campus bill fails to advance
March 25, 2011, 10:26 am
A bill to allow firearms on Idaho’s public university and college campuses has
failed to advance in the Senate.

Lawmakers on the Senate State Affairs Committee decided against moving  the
legislation forward today after two hours of public testimony.

The issue hit home for Senate Majority Leader Bart Davis, whose  23-year-old son
died from a gunshot wound to the chest at a Boise party  eight years ago.
Cameron Wade Davis, a Boise State University student,  was shot by another
student carrying a concealed weapon.

Davis sits on the Senate panel and interjected shortly after University  of
Idaho law student Jonathan Sawmiller argued that students with guns  were
responsible citizens and not, as some would suggest, “drunken frat  boys”
stumbling around firing indiscriminately.

Davis said: “This is not an intellectual exercise for me and my family.”