[Vision2020] Perhaps Now the Moscow City Council Will Give a Damn

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Wed Mar 23 08:46:31 PDT 2011

"The loads - up to 66 of them - would likely go through Moscow."

It should also prove interesting to see how these loads maneuver through
Coeur d'Alene and enter I-90.

Courtesy of today's (March 23, 2011) Moscow-Pullman Daily News.

Loads shifting to I-95: ITD considers plan to send half-size ExxonMobil
oil gear through Moscow to I-90

The Idaho Transportation Department is reviewing a proposal from Imperial
Oil/ExxonMobil to reduce the size of 33 megaloads at the Port of Lewiston
so they can be shipped up U.S. Highway 95 to Interstate 90.

The loads - up to 66 of them - would likely go through Moscow.

A crew of around 100 is at work on the megaloads, although it was not
clear Tuesday exactly how much they would be reduced in length, width or
height.

"Imperial Oil/ExxonMobil is currently cutting 33 loads that are located at
the Port of Lewiston in half," said Mollie McCarty, ITD governmental
affairs manager, in an email.

The cost of cutting the 33 loads at the Port of Lewiston is about $500,000
each, she said in the email, but ITD is not aware of the timeline to
complete these reductions.

Cutting all 33 loads in half could cost ExxonMobil $16.5 million.

The ITD has begun reviewing the proposal to use Highway 95, though a fixed
route has not yet been determined, ITD officials said.

"I know that we're at the very initial part of that," said McCarty. "We're
in the early stages right now for reviewing this plan."

At the same time, a full-size test shipment - much like the highly
contested ConocoPhillips megaloads - still is slated to startup U.S.
Highway 12 to assess whether ExxonMobil megaloads can safely make the same
journey, possibly more than a hundred times in the future.

The test shipment - which is 24 feet wide, 208 feet long, 30 feet high and
weighs 508,000 pounds - is scheduled to leave the Port of Lewiston Monday
night and is the only load ITD has approved for travel. The oil company
would like this to be the first of 114 such shipments destined for the
Kearl Oil Sands project in Alberta, Canada.

ITD spokesman Adam Rush said the test shipment will be used to decide
whether movement along the curvy highway is manageable and if any problems
arise that need to be addressed. The trip is expected to take three days.

Meanwhile, two ConocoPhillips megaloads destined for a Billings, Mont.,
refinery may not make it there until April, according to a report from the
Missoulian. The second load left Lewiston on Feb. 17.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

and the Realist adjusts his sails."

- Unknown