[Vision2020] ISU Provost Gary Olson to step down June 25

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at frontier.com
Sun Mar 20 08:24:48 PDT 2011

Idaho State Journal, Pocatello, Idaho

2011.

POCATELLO – Idaho State University Provost, Gary Olson, announced today that
he would step down as provost at the end of his current contract on June 25.

“We made a great deal of progress over the last two years,” Olson said. “And
now I believe it is time to consider other opportunities.”

During his tenure, Olson oversaw the successful reaffirmation of institutional
accreditation with the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities, and
he led ISU to Research University-High status in the Carnegie Foundation
classifications. He directed an institution-wide reorganization of academic
units and created a professional Office of Institutional Research, hiring its
director after an extensive national search.

Olson also oversaw the reorganization and subsequent reaccreditation of the
Idaho Museum of Natural History, and he rescued the Idaho State University
Press from closure, bringing it under Academic Affairs direction. In order to
foster a culture of cooperation among regional institutions, both public and
private, he created a Council of Academic Affairs in Eastern Idaho.

“Under Provost Olson’s leadership, Academic Affairs has helped move the
institution forward in substantial and demonstrable ways,” said ISU President
Arthur Vailas. “We are all grateful for his tireless dedication to ISU.”

Olson plans to take a professional leave during the fall semester before
returning to the faculty in the spring 2012 to resume his work as a nationally
prominent scholar of rhetoric, politics, and culture, and an analyst of higher
education.

More on the story at the following link(s):

http://www.journalnet.com/news/local/article_b9267ae8-4f45-11e0-85b0-001cc4c03286.html

OR

http://tinyurl.com/4aaxhle

Ken