[Vision2020] Fw: CNN Breaking News

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Sun Mar 13 23:31:03 PDT 2011

As best I have been able to determine, there are conflicting reports
regarding a reactor core meltdown at any nuclear reactor in Japan,
from the earthquake or tsunami.  Bloomberg (353 Directtv) is reporting
(11:05 PM Pacific Daylight Time) a meltdown is possible at one
reactor, but they are not reporting it as a fact.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/7feb0aaa-4d3d-11e0-85e4-00144feab49a.html#axzz1GYYyZwJJ

>From website above:

Earlier on Sunday, Yukio Edano, the chief government spokesman, said
there was a “significant chance” that radioactive fuel rods had
partially melted in two reactors [Number One and Number Three] at the
Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power facility.

“As they long as they can maintain a reasonable level of cooling at
the affected reactors, they can avoid partial or full meltdown,” said
Mr Heinonen. “But if they fail there will be a steam explosion and the
dispersal of radioactive material. It may be a day or two before we
know if they have succeeded.”
----------------------
The Guardian has information on the nuclear plant damage in Japan at
this website, indicating that the threat of a Japanese "Chernobyl"
extent disaster is not credible:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/mar/12/japan-earthquake-tsunami-aftermath-live

The Washington Post and MSNBC have reports at the following websites
worded that a meltdown was "likely" or that "there is a good chance"
of a meltdown, or that Japanese officials are proceeding with
precautions as if a meltdown has occurred, not stating as absolute
fact that a meltdown has happened, unless I misread:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/03/12/AR2011031205493.html?hpid=topnews

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42044156/ns/world_news-asia-pacific/
----------------------
There have been explosions and damage at several Japanese nuclear
power plants, and problems with the cooling systems for the reactors,
but the main containment structures for the reactor cores remains
intact, as far as I have been able to determine.  These containment
structures are built to be able to withstand powerful earthquakes, of
course.

Radiation releases from these nuclear reactors has been minimal so
far, though well above acceptable safety levels, and are not a danger
to the world at large, again, as far as I have been able to determine.

The reports in media appear to be hyping the"meltdown" angle, for
obvious motivations.
Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett