[Vision2020] Teacher Calls It Quits Over Reforms

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sun Mar 13 06:59:21 PDT 2011

Courtesy of today's (March 13, 2011) Spokesman-Review.

Huckleberries: Teacher calls it quits over reforms
D.F. Oliveria

The education “reform” package sprung unexpectedly on Idaho by schools
super Tom Luna has claimed its first victim. Meghan Ridley, a special-ed
teacher and teacher of the year recipient in the Lakeland School District,
has had enough. She quit her job last week after being accepted into a
Gonzaga University doctoral program. Meghan, whose battle with anonymous
Coeur d’Alene Press online commenters has been chronicled here, said the
teacher rallies, letters to the editor, speeches before uncaring
legislators, and unwanted “troll” attention over the “hot photo” took a
toll. She told Huckleberries she had an epiphany after she got more
attention over a newspaper photo that showed a hint of cleavage than she
had attracted during her years as a teacher. So she said she embraced her
“sexy teacher” alter ego and launched a Facebook page under the pseudonym
“Ima HotTeacher,” where she plans to continue fighting the Luna-tic
legislation to overhaul Idaho education. “Rather than sit voiceless in my
classroom while (House Bills 1108 and 1110) become law, I figured taking a
bold stand based on principle was in order. I felt it was time for people
to see what happens when you hurt good teachers. They leave.” Alas.

Do you feel lucky?
If the 2010 Idaho Legislature passes the goofy bill that would allow
students to carry guns on campus, I have a suggestion for a T-shirt
slogan. Or two. Or five. Actually, my Huckleberries Online T-shirt
possibilities: “Mr. Glock says I deserve an ‘A.’;” And: “You can unlock
your mind, I am going to unload.” And: “Your college, your firing range.”
And: “Move over NEA, here comes the NRA.” And: “Change the world one round
at a time.” One commenter provided possible slogans for individual
campuses, including: College of Southern Idaho (Twin Falls): “CSI
Educated. CSI Investigated.” Imagine a visiting quarterback looking up
from Boise State’s blinding Smurf-blue football field to see red dots
aimed at his receivers and him from the stands. BSU will never lose
another home football game, if this becomes law.

Oh, I see.

Huckleberries
Although the total is still small, the number of African-Americans in
Kootenai County, erstwhile home of the Aryan Nations, has jumped 127.3
percent in the past decade, from 183 to 416. That subterranean noise you
hear from the graveyard is old racist Richard Butler spinning
 Speaking
of Butler, reporter Mike Perry of KHQ tweets: “N. ID white suprem. group
tells me they bought 17 acres of land near Spirit Lake in Bonner Co.
Unclear of plans to build a new compound.” Oh joy
 In the “Now I’ve Heard
It All” department, KXLY’s Derek Deis fielded a phone call Thursday in
which a woman complained about the station’s MLK bomb arrest coverage,
saying that it wasn’t news.

Parting shot
Parking is no longer free in Coeur d’Alene lots near City Park. My wife
and I returned from our customary walk along the waterfront last weekend
to discover that the North Idaho Museum lot is now charging $1 for the
first hour of parking, like the Independence Point lot. And a buck every
hour after, up to $8 for a full day. The Diamond Parking crew wasn’t
around to ticket me. That woulda cost $20 for our stroll. Lake City
officials must think we’re Spokane or something.

Meghan Ridley's "Ima Hotteacher" Facebook page
http://www.facebook.com/people/Ima-HotTeacher/100002182331250

Seeya round town, Moscow.

and the Realist adjusts his sails."

- Unknown