[Vision2020] PR - City of Moscow Joins Let's Move! Campaign

Stephanie Kalasz skalasz at ci.moscow.id.us
Fri Mar 11 16:10:12 PST 2011

City of Moscow
Administration
206 E Third Street
Moscow, ID 83843
Contact: Gary J. Riedner, City Supervisor
p     |  208-883-7006
e     |   griedner at ci.moscow.id.us<mailto:griedner at ci.moscow.id.us>
w    |  www.ci.moscow.id.us<http://www.ci.moscow.id.us>

PRESS RELEASE
Title:  City of Moscow Joins Let's Move! Campaign

March 14, 2011 - The City of Moscow is excited to join the nationwide Let's Move! campaign.  Let's Move! is a comprehensive initiative, launched by First Lady Michelle Obama, dedicated to solving the problem of obesity within a generation, so that children born today will grow up healthier and able to pursue their dreams.

Combining comprehensive strategies with common sense, Let's Move! is about putting children on the path to a healthy future during their earliest months and years. Giving parents helpful information and fostering environments that support healthy choices. Providing healthier foods in our schools, ensuring that every family has access to healthy, affordable food and, helping children become more physically active.

"In the end, as First Lady, this isn't just a policy issue for me. This is a passion. This is my mission. I am determined to work with folks across this country to change the way a generation of kids thinks about food nutrition and physical activity."
- First Lady Michelle Obama

Within the four core pillars of the program the City of Moscow and community partners are excited to continue with improvements that will benefit children and our community as a whole.

Pillar 1: Giving parents and caregivers the tools they need to make healthy choices in early childhood

*         Daycare Requirements for Safe and Adjacent Play Spaces

*         Active Living Task Force  - Goal is to promote healthy living in our community

Pillar 2: Improving Nutrition in Schools

*         Moscow School District promotes federal nutrition standards in all schools including health food choices, nutrition education, free and reduced price meals, school gardens, physical education and health classes, including options for before and after school

*         Moscow School District Coordinated School Health Team  are advocates for employee health and wellness and coordinates health fairs,  monthly newsletters, pedometer competitions, and nutrition and wellness workshops

Pillar 3: Increasing Physical Activity Opportunities

*         Youth Scholarships for Parks and Recreation Programs

*         Safe Routes to School Infrastructure Improvements

*         Partnered with University of Idaho Safe Routes to School Education Team

*         Public Transit Opportunities including Fixed Route

*         VanPool Programs

*         Multi-Modal Streets Design to be Included in Transportation Plan

*         No Smoking Reminders in Public Parks

Pillar 4: Making Healthy Food Affordable and Accessible

*         1st Annual Community Garden Program

*         1st Farmers Market first in Idaho to accept SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program) Benefits

The City of Moscow is excited to make this commitment to assisting our community as appropriate be more healthy and vibrant now and for generations to come.

###

Story Contact: Jen Pfiffner, Assistant to the City Supervisor
Phone: 208-883-7123
Email: jpfiffner at ci.moscow.id.us<mailto:jpfiffner at ci.moscow.id.us>

The City of Moscow delivers quality municipal services while ensuring responsible use of resources. We anticipate and meet the needs of our diverse population in order to build public trust and enhance a sense of community.

Jen Pfiffner
Assistant to the City Supervisor
City of Moscow
PO Box 9203 | 206 E Third Street