[Vision2020] PR - City of Moscow Prepares for Rising Water

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Wed Mar 9 13:16:17 PST 2011

Be afraid.  Be VERY afraid!

So, you think that jus' 'cuz you live by a tiny, shallow crick that you
simply ain't go no reason to worry . . .

Well, let me tell . . . nah, make that "show" . . . you something, Bunkie.

These are photos of the 1996 flood of Paradise Creek and the impact of
this quiet. trivial creek that so unassumingly meanders through the
neighborhood.

http://www.TomandRodna.com/1996Flood

Tom "Survivor of Paradise Creek '96" Hansen
Moscow, Idaho

On Wed, March 9, 2011 10:58 am, Stephanie Kalasz wrote:

> City of Moscow
> Administration
> 206 E Third Street
> Moscow, ID 83843
> Contact: Gary J. Riedner, City Supervisor
> p     |  208.883.7006
> e     |   griedner at ci.moscow.id.us<mailto:griedner at ci.moscow.id.us>
> w    |  www.ci.moscow.id.us<http://www.ci.moscow.id.us>
>
> PRESS RELEASE
> Title:  City of Moscow Prepares for Potential Rising Water
>
> March 9, 2011 - The National Weather Service's hydrological outlook calls
> for significant rises in rivers and streams in the Palouse area due to
> forecasted rain expected to fall this week.  That rain, in combination
> with accumulated snow and rain already present at higher elevations, may
> result in rising water at lower elevations.
>
> The City of Moscow Streets Department asks residents to be aware of the
> potential for rising water.  City crews will monitor levels and
> continually check traditional trouble areas.  Residents are encouraged to
> be aware of storm drain catch basins in front of their homes, and are
> asked to them clear to keep water flowing.  If you have an area of concern
> where plowed snow may be blocking a storm drain, please report the
> location by calling 208-882-COPS.
>
> The City has a large supply of sand bags that are available to residents
> should localized flooding occur.  As the City is supplying the materials,
> citizens are asked to fill the bags they need.  For sand please visit the
> City of Moscow Street Shop at 650 N. Van Buren Street; for more
> information please call 208-883-7097.
>
> For concerns regarding water levels please contact the Streets Department
> at 208-883-7097 from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.  For
> emergency flooding concerns contact Whitcom at any hour by calling
> 208-882-COPS.
>
> ###
>
> Story Contact: Tyler Palmer, Street/Vehicle Maintenance Manager
> Phone: 208.883.7096
> Email: tpalmer at ci.moscow.id.us<mailto:tpalmer at ci.moscow.id.us>
>

> The City of Moscow delivers quality municipal services while ensuring
> responsible use of resources. We anticipate and meet the needs of our
> diverse population in order to build public trust and enhance a sense of
> community.
>
> Jen Pfiffner
> Assistant to the City Supervisor
> City of Moscow