[Vision2020] Despite La Nina, Moscow's Meteorological Winter (Dec./Jan./Feb.) Saw Below Ave. Precipitation

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 8 13:03:58 PST 2011

I went to the Weather Underground (www.wunderground.com), and grabbed
data for the last ten years for precipitation for Moscow.  I've attached
a graph of the total precipitation for Dec/Jan/Feb for those years.

The WU site gives a total precipitation value of 6.97 inches for this
year (Dec - Feb), which is somewhat lower than the 7.61 inches value you
reported.  The average precipitation for the last ten years has been
5.02 inches according to the WU site data.  I don't know where
weather.com is getting the 8.65 inches value from.  Are they using a
different data set?  In fact, the maximum value in the last ten years
(the only value higher than this year) occurred during the winter of
2003/04 and had a total of 8.24 inches.

Can you give us the URL for the data you're looking at?  I'd like to
find out why the data is so different between the two sites.

Paul