[Vision2020] "RECALL TOM LUNA!" Underway

Tom's Email thansen at moscow.com
Mon Mar 7 19:58:35 PST 2011

Courtesy of KLEW at:

http://www.klewtv.com/news/local/116784563.html
Woman begins collecting Luna recall petition signatures
Originally printed at http://www.klewtv.com/news/local/116784563.html

By Jen Wahl February 23, 2011
BOISE, Idaho - Some Idahoans are at the boiling point when it comes to education reform.

And now an official petition calling for Idaho's school chief to step down is circulating.

"Last night I scanned in the petition," said Nancy Berto, petition organizer. "I started emailing it to people all over the state and this morning I've already got some messages on my email and so I'm hopeful."

Berto is hoping to collect enough signatures to recall Idaho Schools Superintendent Tom Luna. She'll need more than 150,000 signatures to do so.

"I'm just a citizen who's really concerned about the public schools here and what's going to happen to them in the future," Berto said.

The Secretary of State says no one has ever successfully recalled a state official. Berto says she believes there's enough support out there.

The Secretary of State says it has received several inquires from other people, such as Berto, but no one has gone as far as she has and actually submit the paper work.

Luna's office declined an on-camera interview with KBOI-TV, however, it did release the following statement:

"There was an election in November. Superintendent Tom Luna received more than 60 percent of votes and it's clear that the people of Idaho elected the person they wanted as state superintendent and the direction they wanted for public schools."

Berto still has a few steps to take. The initial petition requires 20 signatures. Once that's approved she'll need 158,000 more and will have 75 days to collect them all.

"If it doesn't work out, at least we've tried," Berto said. "And at least we've done something. That's better than being frustrated and doing nothing."

In the event of a recall election, the elected official has to get more votes than they received in the general election to step down.

It would take more than 268,000 votes to take Luna out in a recall election, which works out to be about one-third of registered voters in the state.

-------

Video

http://www.klewtv.com/news/local/116784563.html?video=pop&t=a

Seeya round town, Moscow

"The Pessimist complains about the wind, the Optimist expects it to change and the Realist adjusts his sails."

- Unknown