[Vision2020] The Colbert Super PAC

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Thu Jun 30 17:53:11 PDT 2011

Courtesy of CBS News at:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/06/30/eveningnews/main20075941.shtml

Colbert gets a Super PAC; So what are they?

By Nancy Cordes

Comedy Central's fake newsman Stephen Colbert scored a very real victory in
Washington today. He was granted permission by the Federal Election
Commission to form his own Super PAC.

You may have never heard of Super PACs but they're no joke. And they're
going to play a major role in the next election, as CBS News congressional
correspondent Nancy Cordes reports.

At the staid FEC, whose hearings normally come and go with little notice,
Stephen Colbert became the proud founder today of the nation's 114th "Super
PAC."

"There are some who say what will you do with that money," Colbert joked to
a crowd of fans. "I say give it to me and we'll find out!"

Colbert has been on this quasi-comedic campaign for several months, quipping
on his show that "this election, you, the Colbert nation could have a voice,
in the form of my voice, shouted through a megaphone of cash."

Super PACs are the byproduct of the 2010 Supreme Court decision commonly
known as "Citizens United," which granted corporations, unions and
individuals the right to donate unlimited funds to outside groups to
campaign for or against candidates.

Within a year, conservative Super PACs had raised $35 million and liberal
Super PACs $28 million to spend on the 2010 midterms.

"This is a toe in the water definitely," said Sheila Krumholz, who runs the
non-partisan Center for Responsive Politics, which tracks money in politics.
"Corporations saw very little fallout for their election related activities
and unlimited spending in 2010. And I think the gloves will be off in 2012."

Just last Friday, a former top aide to Mitt Romney formed three Super PACs
called "Jobs for Florida," "Jobs for Iowa," and "Jobs for South Carolina" --
early voting states, all.

But he'll have to move quickly if he wants to outraise Colbert, who left the
hearing in an SUV joking "Is there any more cash? That's it, thank you! Ball
it up and throw it to me!"

----------------

Comedian Stephen Colbert, left, confers with his attorney Trevor Potter, as
he testified before the Federal Election Commission in Washington, Thursday,
June 30, 2011. Colbert, who plays a conservative TV pundit on "The Colbert
Report," wants to launch Colbert Super PAC, a type of political action
committee that would allow him to raise unlimited amounts of money from
corporations, unions and individuals to support or oppose candidates in the
2012 elections through independent expenditures such as TV ads.

AP110630035290_620x350.jpg

http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/2011/06/30/AP110630035290_620x350.jpg

The Colbert Super PAC

http://www.colbertsuperpac.com/