[Vision2020] Sergeant sets record for weighted push-ups

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Mon Jun 27 14:17:54 PDT 2011

Courtesy of the Army Times.

Sergeant sets record for weighted push-ups

A barrel-chested assistant platoon sergeant chal lenged his troops to “go
break a world record.” Then he broke one himself. Staff Sgt. John Halsey
knocked out 60 push-ups in 60 seconds June 17 with more than 40 pounds on
his back, passing the previous record by almost 10 reps, according to a
June 22 story on the Army’s official website.

Originally, the 38-year-old father of three issued the challenge to
motivate his troops at the Patriot Acade my at Muscatatuck Urban Training
Complex in Indi ana after witnessing their lethargic behavior on a day
off, he said.

But they turned it back on him.

“I challenged them to go do something productive, go break a world
record,” Halsey said in the story.

“They laughed about it, and told me to go break a world record. I told
them, I would find one and I will.” He trained every day for two months
and felt he needed to crush the record to show his soldiers any thing’s
possible, according to the release.

More than 100 people watched Halsey break the record inside an old
gym­nasium.

The Guinness World Record committee must verify Halsey’s record before it
is official, a process that takes up to six weeks, the release said.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

and the Realist adjusts his sails."

- Author Unknown