[Vision2020] an opinion...everybody's got one

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 14:30:57 PDT 2011

Also, given the moral and ethical implications of the tar sands project in
Canada, even if the Moscow City Council has no legal basis to block the
mega-loads (or approve them, as you point out), as long as they conform to
ITD standards for a state Hwy., the council could have nonetheless
recognized that many of their constituents oppose the mega-load because of
the moral and ethical implications, along with local city impacts, and could
have issued a statement acknowledging these concerns.  Someone correct me if
I am wrong, but I don't know of any legal reason why the Moscow City Council
could not address in a public statment the damage to peoples lives in
Canada, and the local and global environmental issues associated with the
tar sands bound mega-loads, which are concerns their constituents publicly
discussed.

Johnston's op-ed should have emphasized this point.
Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett