[Vision2020] an opinion...everybody's got one

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Thu Jun 23 12:08:40 PDT 2011

I agree with you, Bill.

Never complain about somebody or some people unless you read what they
have to say.

That is the primary reason why I, and I urge others, registered with Doug
Wilson's blog "Blog and Mablog" at:

Http://www.dougwils.com

Hopefully he will not boot me off, much like Dale Courtney's now defunct
blog "Right-Mind" did.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

On Thu, June 23, 2011 11:45 am, Bill London wrote:
> J-
> we disagree on two main points.
>
> First, you say Hank Johnston and Ed Iverson write "offensive" editorial
> columns for the Daily News.  I think Hank has become more rational and
> centrist in his views of late, and did not find his use of "hippie" to
> describe Moscow leftists as any big deal.  However, I would agree that
> Iverson was "offensive."  But what do you expect from an elder in a church
> that is anti-woman, anti-gay, and anti-science?  I thank the Daily News
> for
> having Iverson as a columnist since that gave all of us a chance to see
> how
> illogical and mean-spirited that belief structure is.  Reading Iverson's
> beliefs let us know what kind of drivel is filling the minds of Christ
> Church members and their kids.
>
> Second, why stop buying the Daily News?  Why kill the messenger?  Sure,
> confront the church, Iverson, or whoever -- but pull your head out of the
> sand and learn about the entire community here in Moscow.
>
> BL

 I mean, conservatives will come
> [...]
>>
>> Except it wasn't my stance on megaloads that caused me to suffer the
>> wrath
>> of these keyboard commandos. Oddly enough it was the fact that they felt
>> painted the anti-megaload crowd with a giant brush when I called them
>> hippies.
>>
>> But guess what?
>>
>> Like it or not, Moscow does have a rather large and diverse population
>> of
>> people who could be defined as hippies, even if they don't fit the image
>> from the 1960s. And it is our diverse culture that makes Moscow unique
>> and,
>> sometimes to my chagrin, flavors our political climate to something
>> entirely
>> different from the rest of Idaho.
>>
>> At least that's my opinion, which is protected under the First
>> Amendment,
>> just like yours.
>>
>> But the enlightened crowd of "visionaries" didn't see it that way.
>>
>> One user called me an "offensive idiot," and another said my column was
>> "pathetic excuse for analysis." Some questioned why the Daily News can't
>> fire me and hire better writers and suggested because we live between
>> two
>> universities that all columnists should be college professors or
>> students,
>> somehow producing a better opinion page.
>>
>> One person went as far as to ask if anyone knew who I was, where I lived
>> or
>> what I did for a living. Why does it matter? Last I checked, I was Henry
>> Johnston who lives in Moscow, Idaho, not Soviet Russia.
>>
>> After reading all the vitriol from these self-proclaimed tolerant
>> liberals,
>> I was half expecting an angry mob to show up on my doorstep with torches
>> and
>> pitchforks, smelling of patchouli oil and singing "Kumbaya."
>>
>> I'm not sharing this experience because I want to point fingers and
>> whine
>> about someone picking on me. I'm doing so because even as nasty as some
>> of
>> the comments were, they and this column are perfect examples of free
>> speech
>> in action.
>>
>> Joe Reader has just as much right to call me an idiot as I do to call
>> him
>> hippie. It's all part of being an American and exercising the rights we
>> are
>> so very lucky to have.
>>
>> So I encourage everyone to continue to debate topics of every nature in
>> whatever venue we have available, be it on the opinion page, online or
>> in
>> person. I'm tough enough to handle it and will chuckle and smile when we
>> do
>> because, quite frankly, not doing so would be un-American.
>>
>> But, then again, that's just my opinion.
>>
>> Henry D. Johnston lives in Moscow. He can be reached via email at

and the Realist adjusts his sails."

- Author Unknown