[Vision2020] Sunspots: 2009 Deepest Solar Minimum in Nearly A Century, Then 2010 Warmest Year in 131Years

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 15:49:41 PDT 2011

On Venus (source for quotes and some exploration of scientific complexities
regarding "clouds" lower down) "only about 10 percent of the Sun’s radiation
penetrates the clouds and gets to the surface."   Yet "On the surface the
temperature is 900 degrees F."  It seems this example of rather
serious "shading the ground" by clouds does not result in a cool planet!

You are misrepresenting your original comment ("...a weak sun allows more
cosmic
rays to strike the Earth, leaving ionized air molecules for clouds to
form around.  This causes a cooling of the Earth by shading the ground...")
and my request, in your response to my request on Svensmark's cosmic
ray/cloud formation theory regarding the variable "shading the ground," so
I'm not directly going to respond to this question, except to point out
that, "the Earth" is about 70 percent covered by oceans, so "shading the
ground" would only apply to the about 30 percent of the Earth's surface that
is land.

Besides, your response seems to be dodging the central point of my response
to your "Sunspots" post:  For someone who is apparently following and
studying recent sunspot activity regarding the impact on global climate and
temperature, and historically (Maunder Minimum, LIA), with some serious
interest, to not mention the deep solar minimum, the deepest in nearly a
century, in 2009, and the associated 2009 and 2010 global temperatures as
the second and first warmest years in Goddard's 131 year data set, which is
relatively new and very important empirical data regarding the debate on
solar forcing of climate, is, as I wrote, "a major and puzzling omission."

But I have another planet for you to ponder regarding clouds impacting
planetary temperatures.

Clouds have a complex impact on global temperature, both cooling and
warming.  Defining what a "cloud" is not as simple as it might seem.
Atmospheric water vapor is the dominant greenhouse warming variable on
Earth, and clouds are for the most part water in the atmosphere.  Skeptics
of anthropogenic climate change often point out that CO2 has a relatively
small impact on the greenhouse effect on Earth compared to water vapor, but
they sometimes ignore the well established positive feedback from increasing
atmospheric CO2 levels also causing increasing atmospheric water vapor
levels, thus causing more warming than would occur from the CO2 increase
alone.

Venus has a cloud cover so dense that only "about 10 percent of the Sun’s
radiation penetrates the clouds and gets to the surface."  Quite an example
of "shading the ground," it appears, yet "On the surface the temperature is
900 degrees F."

http://www.brighthub.com/science/space/articles/68774.aspx

>From website above:

 Part of the reason for this planetary hothouse is Venus’ thick
cloud<http://www.brighthub.com/science/space/articles/68774.aspx#>cover
and atmosphere. Consisting mainly of carbon dioxide (CO
2), Venus’ atmosphere carries the greenhouse effect to the extreme. As the
environmentalists keep warning, a buildup of CO2 in our atmosphere could
increase Earth’s temperature to unbearable levels. It has on Venus.

Add the thick cloud cover which also helps hold heat in, and you have a
world <http://www.brighthub.com/science/space/articles/68774.aspx#> that can
never cool off. In fact, the European Space Agency’s (ESA) Venus Express
probe has found that there is very little difference in day and night time
temperatures on the planet.
Interestingly, the probe has found that only about 10 percent of the Sun’s
radiation penetrates the clouds and gets to the surface. But 100 percent
what does reach the surface stays, because the greenhouse effect and clouds
hold it in.
Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett