[Vision2020] Sunspots

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 17 19:48:23 PDT 2011

I've been meaning to post on this subject for a while, but have been
short on time.

You've probably all seen the news about some research that was unveiled
at a meeting of the American Astronomical Society that suggests that the
Sun will become more quiet over the next few years as sunspots become
rarer.  This is due mainly to a river of gas under the surface of the
Sun which disrupts sunspots.

Sunspots are holes in the outer layer of the Sun caused by magnetic
fields.  The more sunspots on the Earth-facing side of the Sun and the
hotter it is.  Of course, this varies only slightly in comparison to the
overall output of the Sun.

I just wanted to weigh in on this subject and to post some related
information about it.  I'll also give my take on it.  Not that anybody
cares.

First, here is a representative article on the subject from the BBC:

Global warming alarmists (as I like to think of them) were quick to
rebut this idea.  Here is a representative article from Discover:

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2011/06/17/are-we-headed-for-a-new-ice-age/

Here is a chart from NASA that shows solar cycle 24 (the one we're
currently in) compared to solar cycle 23.  It also shows their current
predictions for the rest of this cycle:

http://solarscience.msfc.nasa.gov/images/ssn_predict_l.gif

One of the reasons that this topic is so important is that the last time
sunspots declined for a long period of time during the Maunder Minimum,
we had the Little Ice Age, which followed the Medieval Warm Period.
Some people suspect there might be a link between the two events.  Here
is some info from Wikipedia about LIA and the Maunder Minimum:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_ice_age
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maunder_Minimum

Now, the main objection to the LIA (aside from the whole "Hockey Stick"
fiasco) seems to be that it was a phenomenon local to Europe.  However,
there is a paper by Huang and Pollack (1997) that looked at 6,144 sets
of heat flow measurements obtained from all over the globe suitable for
reconstructing temperature over the Earth for the last 20,000 years and
concluded that the Medieval Warm Period and the Little Ice Age were both
global phenomena.  Here is a link to an article on CO2 Science about it:

http://www.co2science.org/articles/V3/N22/C3.php

Now, there have been lots of rhetoric from both sides of the fence about
this.  No, I don't think we ought to all be idling our Expeditions so we
don't get any colder.  I do, however, think there might be something to
this.  Every day when I get up in the morning, I check my email, check a
few forums I post on, and see how the sun is doing.  I like to follow
the sunspot number, and since I check it every day I watch the
individual sunspots form, decay, and rotate around the Sun.  It's an odd
hobby, to be sure, but I find it fascinating.  Here are a couple of
websites where you, too, can spend your time watching the Sun instead of
doing something constructive:

http://www.spaceweather.com/
http://www.solarham.com/

I started this a couple of years ago.  It was extremely boring at first,
because there would be stretches of sometimes months between sunspots.
Now, the cycle has finally fired up.  The current sunspot number as of
this writing is 62.  I've seen it up over a hundred, but that's still
low compared to the last cycle.

It makes sense to me that small variations in
ahttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maunder_Minimum large ball of fusing gas
that gives us almost all our heat might have an affect on climate.  The
professional climate modelers are convinced that the amount of
fluctuation is too small to make a difference, since TSI doesn't change
but by less than a percent.  The problem with this is that it, in my
opinion, is pure hubris.  We know so little about how the Sun actually
affects the Earth.  For example, there is an interesting theory by a guy
named Henrik Svensmark that states that a weak sun allows more cosmic
rays to strike the Earth, leaving ionized air molecules for clouds to
form around.  This causes a cooling of the Earth by shading the ground
and by changing the albedo.  This, of course, happens over a long period
of time, but adds up.  Poor Svensmark, lacking his stamp of authority by
the IPCC, has been shopping around begging for cloud chamber experiment
time.  Here is a youtube video describing the theory:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpDDqGqN16s

This is just one possible mechanism by which small variations in the
Sun's output can affect climate.  To me, it seems crazy to discount the
Little Ice Age and the Maunder Minimum as being local events are
assuming they are not causally related simply because the climate models
we've designed don't show as strong of a connection.  I consider most of
the climate models unproven, while the global warming community
apparently thinks they are evidence.

So, may take on it is that the science behind the sunspot predictions is
sound, there seems to be a connection between the last time this
happened and a large cooling down of the climate, and that dismissing it
out of hand is foolhardy at this stage.

Paul