[Vision2020] be there or be square

Bill London london at moscow.com
Thu Jun 16 10:59:03 PDT 2011

Free fun.  What else could you want? BL
----------------------
Moscow-Pullman Daily News - DNews.com
Laughing just to keep from crying
Third annual Intolerista Wingding happens Tuesday in Moscow

By [author]Alan Solan[/author] [org]Daily News Staff Writer[/org]
June 16, 2011

Sometimes things in this country are so sad, you just have to laugh.

That's the idea behind the third annual Intolerista Wingding, a free evening of political satire and music Tuesday at the 1912 Center in Moscow.

"Even when the topic is very serious, people need to laugh," said Jeanne McHale of Moscow, who will be the opening musical act for the event.

"If we didn't laugh about them, what would we do?" she said. "We wouldn't have the strength to go on."

The name "intoleristas" was given to members of Moscow's so-called "liberal community" several years back by Christ Church pastor Doug Wilson and was meant to be an insult. However, rather than being insulted, a number of Moscow residents instead took the intended slur as a compliment and badge of honor, McHale said.

"It's OK to be intolerant of hatred," she said.

McHale, who debuted her song "Wailin Palin" at last year's event, said she's added more verses to the song and also has written some new tunes for this year's event that have to do with the controversy over megaloads and the Alberta tar sands project.

The star of the show again will be Roy Zimmerman of California, who will be returning for the third year. Zimmerman has been writing satirical songs for 20 years and travels around the United States playing his original music and building a national reputation for singing "funny songs about ignorance, war and greed."

"The idea is just to have fun and celebrate progressive values," McHale said.

McHale said she's excited to have Zimmerman return.

"He writes very socially conscious, but funny lyrics," she said. "He's a really clever writer and excellent guitar player and singer."

A Los Angeles Times reviewer said, "Zimmerman displays a lacerating wit and keen awareness of society's foibles that bring to mind a latter-day Tom Lehrer."

Lehrer himself has said, "I congratulate Roy Zimmerman on reintroducing literacy to comedy songs."

"That's the power of music," McHale said. "It has the power to make you feel better when you sing about serious topics."

Snacks, beer and wine will be available for purchase from Gnosh at the Red Door. Donations of canned food for Sojourners' Alliance will be encouraged, but not required.

The event is sponsored by the nonprofit community organization Moscow Cares.

On the Web:

n www.royzimmerman.com

n www.intolerista.org

n www.moscowcares.com

Alan Solan can be reached at (208) 882-5561, ext. 235, or by email at asolan at dnews.com.

If you go

n WHAT: Third Annual Intolerista Wingding

n WHEN: 6 p.m. Tuesday

n WHERE: 1912 Center, Moscow

n COST: Free